3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the greatest photos, but I did get the billet installed, minus the door locks and column tilt lever.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also picked up a dash cover to help keep it nice. It’s not secured down yet.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock auto order came. Tomorrow I start on the front of the truck. Wish me luck! I’ve never done any sort of front end work besides rotors and wheel bearings. I’ve been spoiled by my ‘92. It has never had any front end work done to it even now at 357K miles.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I’ve been spoiled by my ‘92. It has never had any front end work done to it even now at 357K miles.
It's way past due.. especially don't trust those ball joints. I've seen more than a few gmt400's stopped dead in their tracks because the lower one lets go and sets the control arm on the ground. Sometimes you get lucky and the tire doesn't destroy the fender.

Richard

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's way past due.. especially don't trust those ball joints. I've seen more than a few gmt400's stopped dead in their tracks because the lower one lets go and sets the control arm on the ground. Sometimes you get lucky and the tire doesn't destroy the fender.

Richard
I agree. It would need everything replaced and sometimes it’s hard to justify that on a $500 pickup that I’m going to be done with soon. Planned to do so this year but I am just going to use the 350 as a donor for my ‘94 K2500 and park the ‘92. Always feel kind of like a dork for not doing anything about it.

I will say this: the front end is just as tight as this ‘95. It goes down the road straight and gets greased every oil change. I do check my ball joints for play every couple months and they are as good as they ever where - no real change.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Richard
Yup that happened to Kenny on his way to lunch, last year I think. He posted about it....

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exciting.
One tip I have for front end rebuilds, either count how many turns when you undo your tie rods and install the same amount, or if you’re replacing everything then you can remove it as an assembly and setup the new assembly to match.

This should get you close enough to drive to the alignment shop without destroying your tires.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exciting.
One tip I have for front end rebuilds, either count how many turns when you undo your tie rods and install the same amount, or if you’re replacing everything then you can remove it as an assembly and setup the new assembly to match.

This should get you close enough to drive to the alignment shop without destroying your tires.
That is a great idea. Thank you for that! I am replacing inner and outer. I’ve got a micrometer, too. So I’ll remember to bring that too.

I went to HF and grabbed some tools for the arsenal. They look identical to the tools I could rent at the parts store. Now I’ll have them permanently.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new tools are always a good idea :cool:

Put your floor Jack under the control before breaking loose the ball joints from the spindle. You can also thread the castle nut back on a few threads while trying to unseat the taper, just as a secondary safety measure. The spring probably won’t come flying out, but the control arm can hurt you quickly if it pops loose while under spring pressure.