1998 k2500 5.7 head gasket worry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joog

Reaction score
I found a 98 k2500 for sale and the previous owner put head gaskets on it just a few weeks ago, and I’m worried he’s just trying to do some cheeky patchwork to sell it. I heard these vortec heads are prone to cracking. I really love the truck and want to purchase it but I don’t want to have a huge problem like cracked heads ruin my purchase.

What should I look out for? What are the ways to tell it’s cracked?

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec heads ARE prone to cracking.

you can pressure-TEST coolant system for exhaust gas pressure.
you look and smell for exhaust gas and/or oil in the coolant; look for evidence of stop-leak remedy in coolant/in radiator/in coolant reservoir.
you look and smell for coolant in the oil.
you TEST for the same; ask your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (NAPA) for the TEST bits & kits.
If you're not confident in your technique, you Pay a pro to do the job.
Might be the best money spent in a C O O N 's age

Even then, there's no guarantee a cracked head won't sneak through.

Last edited:

joog

Reaction score
Vortec heads ARE prone to cracking.

you can pressure-TEST coolant system for exhaust gas pressure.
you look and smell for exhaust gas and/or oil in the coolant; look for evidence of stop-leak remedy in coolant/in radiator/in coolant reservoir.
you look and smell for coolant in the oil.
you TEST for the same; ask your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (NAPA) for the TEST bits & kits.
If you're not confident in your technique, you Pay a pro to do the job. Might be the best money spent in a ****'s age.

Even then, there's no guarantee a cracked head won't sneak through.
Is there any way to test and see if it has these problems when I am checking the truck out before purchasing?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What he asks and what he will accept is two different things. Needs to be completely inspected by a qualified tech that you trust. May have more wrong with it than what has been told to you. The previous owner put head gaskets on it or had a shop do it? Either way, where is the paperwork? Why were they done to begin with? Machine shop check the heads? Paperwork for that? If it isn't documented, it didn't happen.

joog

Reaction score
What he asks and what he will accept is two different things. Needs to be completely inspected by a qualified tech that you trust. May have more wrong with it than what has been told to you. The previous owner put head gaskets on it or had a shop do it? Either way, where is the paperwork? Why were they done to begin with? Machine shop check the heads? Paperwork for that? If it isn't documented, it didn't happen.
He had a shop replace the gaskets, I am waiting for him to send me the receipts

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He had a shop replace the gaskets, I am waiting for him to send me the receipts
You still want to know why the head gaskets were needed. Typically, head gaskets are the RESULT of another problem, unless the heads were cracked. Also, did they go to the machine shop? What else may or may not have been done to the heads while apart? I would still have a pro check it, though.