1996 Yukon 4X4 2 Door 6.0 l LS Swap With Holley Terminator X Max And Truck Norris Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevmore007

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here Goes The Build Thread of my GMT 400 Yukon Transformation.
I picked up the Yukon in 2022. I knew right away that it needed more power. I thought about hopping up the 350 but after some research I decided to Swap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Kevmore007

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea was to find a donor truck to get a 6 l from. I found a 2004 sierra 2500 that was beat to crap. I was't concerned about how it drove because I was just going to pull the engine.

My plan was to strip the Sierra while I drove the Yukon. Turns out my Yukon had other plans. One day it just died on the freeway. Just like I turned the key off. I pulled the crank position sensor and found this:

It took me months to figure this out. TBH it is winter and cold as hell. It was parked in my driveway so I only worked on it when it wasn't too cold. I learned a lot about the ignition system on these trucks.

I finally stuck my finger in the hole where the sensor came out of, and this is what I felt:

Kevmore007

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was forced to drive the Sierra for way longer than I wanted to. Once I figured out what had happened I bought the puller to fix the 5.7.

Once I got the Yukon running, I turned it around and put it in the garage to start stripping it down.

Kevmore007

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the 5.7 on Kijiji and sold it for cheap.

Kevmore007

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things are going smoothly. The 2004 has a removable bracket on top of the rad which makes pulling the engine quite easy.

I was going to take the hydro boost as well, but decided it would be easier to just use the vacuum booster I already had.

I think the previous owner just opened the hood and poured oil over the entire engine and hoped some would make it's way into the engine.

Kevmore007

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will probably regret not taking the 4l80, but I didn't want to make new driveshafts or deal with rebuilding it. There was something drastically wrong with it anyway. They used to put the 6l in front of a 4l60 in 1999 and 2000 trucks, so I am not too worried about
blowing it up. The previous owners were very keen on maintenance by the look of the plugs that were in it.