1995 Z71 PU - Headers and Dual Exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptnC

Reaction score
As the title states I want to put Headers and a dual exhaust on my single cab, long box Z71 PU. I bought the truck a month ago at an auction for $2,500.00 and drove it 220 miles to my home. Truck gas 190,000 miles on it.

As I drove home I had visions of a dual exhaust turned out in front of the wheels. That is until I went to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump module.

Well both the fuel tank and transfer case killed that idea.

Still want to turn it out before the axle...

What is the best way to get where I want to be?

My thoughts are to turn both out the passenger side?

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take both pipes down passenger side and turn out in front of right wheel. On my 99 suburban pipes go down right side the drivers side pipe moves back to drivers side as it goes over the axle. Both pipes turn out behind the rear wheels. Sounds and looks good

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take both pipes down passenger side and turn out in front of right wheel. On my 99 suburban pipes go down right side the drivers side pipe moves back to drivers side as it goes over the axle. Both pipes turn out behind the rear wheels. Sounds and looks good
I like that idea. Both of my current small blocks are dual to the muffler. The muffler is the crossover. Both go over the axle on the side the factory exhaust ran and thus heatshields are in place. Both have a tailpipe or tailpipes at a 45* angle to the rear. The 350 has dual 2.5" and dual tailpipes. The 383 has the factory GM 3" dual tubing and a single 4" tailpipe. Both have Doug Thorley Tri-ys on them that are unfortunately no longer made. Best headers ever built for a truck type of application.

You must be registered for see images attach

CaptnC

Reaction score
Should I be concerned with the pipe length?

The left pipe will be a bit longer if I turn both out the right side before the wheel.

For a basic stock engine (only plan to do the TBI mods) is there any need for the X pipe?

Also like to pitch the O2 sensor too. Will that require a different chip?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I be concerned with the pipe length?

The left pipe will be a bit longer if I turn both out the right side before the wheel.
Not a concern.

For a basic stock engine (only plan to do the TBI mods) is there any need for the X pipe?
An x-pipe is always recommended. They're cheap - I have the Jones SXP4 on my truck.

lso like to pitch the O2 sensor too. Will that require a different chip?
What leads you to this? You need the O2 sensor. There's no chip that will get you around it, and if there were it would hurt your power and gas mileage. It's stupid simple for an exhaust shop to put an O2 bung in your header collector.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079V4V5JX/

CaptnC

Reaction score
I believe it will work fine but the right flex plate would allow you to skip the spacer.

Not a concern.

An x-pipe is always recommended. They're cheap - I have the Jones SXP4 on my truck.

What leads you to this? You need the O2 sensor. There's no chip that will get you around it, and if there were it would hurt your power and gas mileage. It's stupid simple for an exhaust shop to put an O2 bung in your header collector.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079V4V5JX/
OK, thanks...all of my "hotrod" experience was pre computers.

Doing a dual exhaust on a system with only 1 O2 sensor, I was not sure where or how the single O2 sensor would work.

Back in the day pistons, heads, intake with a big fat carburetor and your off!

It's going to be hard to believe but I retired as a mechanic, 43 years working on buses. The last 20 of those years as a foreman. I never really liked being a mechanic but I was very good at it!

CaptnC

Reaction score
@Erik the Awful
Big question is do you install two O2 sensors or just use one in one pipe?

Or put it in the Y pipe as forward as possible?

My thoughts are to put the Y pipe in the same location the O2 sensor is currently at...maybe a little back. I know the O2 sensors need to reach a certain temperature so it can't be too far back.

Oh, I plan to do all the exhaust myself. One of strong points in the business was being a fabricator.

Collectors back to the Y pipe will most likely be welded into one piece.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One O2 sensor. The TBI system doesn't have an input for a second sensor, and it wouldn't matter because the fuel is all injected in the throttle body. You're getting an average of the fuel mixtures, and the system is so old that it's "good enough".

Here's my system: (note that I had to build a dropped trans crossmember to clear the catalytic converters)

CaptnC

Reaction score
@Erik the Awful
That a nice clean looking job. Not having a transfer case really simplifies thing!

Can you give me a quick explanation on the X pipe. Back in the day I knew a couple guys who ran H pipes right behind the collectors. But never really paid much attention to them.

And converters...looks like everyone still hanging them on older stuff?!?!

Once my 95 is good enough to be an everyday driver, I will start on my 71 C10...no rules to worry about breaking on that boy!