1995 Tahoe idles at 1800 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

North Polean

Reaction score
My Tahoe started idling at 1800 rpm the other day just like that.I disconnected the single wire to the computer for setting the timing,and it went back to normal but started doing it again several hours later.It also acts like it has a weak vacumn as the a/c vents work a little slow.Any thoughts?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, well first off the ac contol's are not vacume operated on these truck's, they are full electric so that's not the problem with those. I assume that you reconnected the single wire, and then a couple hour's later it started again. The first thing I would check is the IAC valve or idle air control valve, it control's the idle speed of the engine, these do go bad from time to time. It is the cylindrical item that threads in to the passenger side rear of the throttle body, it has a pintle shaft that can get worn and they also sometime's get stuck. If that's not it I would personally hook up a live data code scanner and view the data, and see what's going on. You could also look over all of the electrical connection's and see if any of them are dirty or corroded.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what draggin said I would also check for possible vacuum leaks as well.