1994 K1500 stalls in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FM9694

Reaction score
Making a new thread because I’ve read so many and need help properly directing my attention.

Situation: 94 K1500 with 110k original miles. Owned for a month with no issues until one day I began to stall at stop signs, eventually unable to get it going. Idles fine in park and neutral. Stalls when put into any gear drive or reverse. Seems to be worse when truck is warmed up but cannot confirm whether that is case or not.

What I’ve done so far:

- New TCC solenoid
- New torque converter
- New plugs, wires, cap and rotor
- New ICM
- New Map sensor
- New IAC valve
- New TPS
- New fuel filter

- while in trans I also did all new shift solenoids and upgraded to a pinless 1-2 accumulator. New filter and fluid as well obviously.

Still having the same problem of stalling when putting into gear. Just ordered a new EGR, O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor along with a new distributor. All parts I’ve used are GM genuine or Delco. Before I continue wasting time wondering if anyone can point me in right direction.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything except a fuel pressure check. You can have a fuel pump thats starting to die, will run in park, but any load , higher demand for fuel, no can do. Also, sometimes there's a small rubber fuel line in tank that deteriorates leaking fuel back into tank, usually found when dropping and pulling fuel module out.
Try checking fuel pressure.

FM9694

Reaction score
@GoToGuy

Thank you man, I will check that on Monday and update on this thread, I had that in mind but thought I would have problems starting the truck from experience with GMT800 fuel pumps. Any thought on distributor being the culprit as well? Will be checking fuel pressure before anything else

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the magnet on the distributor shaft. TBI distributors are infamous for cracked magnets.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

"No codes" means very little. Connect a scan tool, VERIFY EVERY SENSOR and computer output. Look at fuel trims. Make sure the initial ignition timing is correct, and the electronic spark advance works.

Assure that the ignition coil will fire a spark-tester calibrated for HEI, preferably when the coil is hot, and misted with water from a spray bottle.