1994 5.7 tbi thermostat/gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some leakage where my thermostat housing is so im going to go ahead change the thermostat and gasket. Do I just use the thermostat and rubber ring gasket or do i need another gasket for the housing outlet? What is oem for a 1994?

And do yall run failsafe t-stats? I think im just gunna run an oem ac delco 195*.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ACDelco 195

and if the housing has a o-ring on it, replace the o-ring, if it doesnt, use a paper gasket.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
chrome housing? idk nothing else is chrome in there.

and do i need to drain the coolant? its been sitting overnight if that makes a difference.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
just leave it stock then.

yup, you will have to, drain ALOT out, or as soon as you take out the thermostat/housing it will just start flowing out of the opening in the intake, i would make sure to empty it out to below the head.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright thanks. I just got the o ring and paper gasket because carquest didnt know, I'll see when i take it off.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
a little tip, if you end up using the o-ring, add a small dab of silicone to either side of it against the housing, so it stays in place. but if it fits in the housing no problem, dont use silicone.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a new t-stat housing, gasket and thermostat, under $30 from a Partsource. I used some Hylomar sealant on the gasket and it worked great. Get a stock 195 and a OEM t-stat, mines only a few months old and its allready fuked!!

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
When removing the stud for the T-housing, watch out and make sure that stud doesn't spin the ECM ground wires off. I did that to my 96' and had to wire cap the bitches back together. I'd spray some PB blaster on the ring terminals, about ten minutes before doing the job.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
she's all sealed up...stock 195* stant superstat t-stat with o-ring and a felpro outlet gasket