1992 Cruise Control Module Discontinued - Where to Source Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

name

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am kinda going threw this now by adding a cruise control unit to a 1996 truck that did not come with it. I got my moduel at the junk yard for $50. with the cable and Mounting hardware. The box I got look unused on the inside, but the outside was well weathered. It is the same box as on my 1994 ( inside and out ) but with a different cable.

If I didn't know any better, I would be half tempted to say that all the boxes are the same for this generation of trucks and the different part numbers are only there to designate the style of cable that comes with them. I am under the impression that the cables are inter changeable, if yours is still good.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Junk yard is your best bet man. All the major ones offer refund/replacement if it doesn't work. I had to go through 3 before I found a good one for my truck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electro-Motor Cruise System service manual attached.

The wires on the control stalk (turn signal lever) are the usual cause of cruise failure. Beyond that, pop the cover off, make sure there's nothing obviously wrong--poor electrical connections including the internal blades/sockets. I use a magnifying glass to check for broken solder traces on the circuit board.
You must be registered for see images attach

Verify that the gears aren't stripped, and the "tape" wound around the spool is still intact.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1988_1998_CK_Electro_Motor_Cruise_Control.pdf
    991.8 KB · Views: 1

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am kinda going threw this now by adding a cruise control unit to a 1996 truck that did not come with it. I got my moduel at the junk yard for $50. with the cable and Mounting hardware. The box I got look unused on the inside, but the outside was well weathered. It is the same box as on my 1994 ( inside and out ) but with a different cable.

If I didn't know any better, I would be half tempted to say that all the boxes are the same for this generation of trucks and the different part numbers are only there to designate the style of cable that comes with them. I am under the impression that the cables are inter changeable, if yours is still good.
The 1994 and up units are different than the earlier ones, I believe has something to do with the updated brake switch. In my truck (1990), I tried multiple of the 94-up units and none worked for me. You can change the cables out with a bit of effort

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything about electrical is a puzzle , that's why GM went to the trouble of creating diagnostic charts and wiring schematics for electrical issues along with symptoms charts. Have you looked at those to verify that module is your problem ? You can look at those in sticky thread 88-98 service manuals , you will have to download info and then have a source of just about all the information you need and should help eliminate the puzzle.