1989 k2500 block coolant drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgbude

Reaction score
I am trying to locate the coolant drain plugs on my 350 v8. I think I may have found one shown in picture left of spark plug boot but not sure where other one is.
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s a 454, there will be a knock sensor on each side and no “plugs”.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
On the vortecs, maybe? My 1995 TBI 454 has a block drain plug on each side with a pipe plug in each.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the vortecs, maybe? My 1995 TBI 454 has a block drain plug on each side with a pipe plug in each.
Yeah I was thinking Vortec, but since he hasn’t let us know, we’re all guessing. I looked in his signature and didn’t see anything.

cgbude

Reaction score
It's a 350 tbi. And yes it has a knock sensor opposite of the bolt I found on drivers side.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TBI big-blocks may have had knock sensors in the block drain ports. I think I've heard that that's the case.

The Vortec big-blocks have knock sensors in dry holes, and regular pipe-thread block drains. I replaced my block drain plugs with brass draincocks.

Right side. Camera is looking "up", which gives the optical illusion that the block drain is pointing "up" and not "level"

Left side. Kinda hiding around the oil filter/front driveshaft area.

It's a 350 tbi. And yes it has a knock sensor opposite of the bolt I found on drivers side.
There's no "bolt". There's a hex-head, steel/iron 1/4" pipe-thread plug as installed by GM. Fairly common for there to be a "crust" of debris at the bottom of the water jacket that has to be broken-up with a Phillips screwdriver or awl, before the coolant will drain.

As you might assume, once you have removed a steel/iron plug, and the debris that's settled in place, you'd do well to replace it with brass plug, or better-yet, a brass draincock. I use Loctite/Permatex "592" as a pipe-thread sealant. Wonderful stuff. It also gets custom-packaged for GM with a GM part number; and I'm sure GM jacks-up the price accordingly. It's what the service manual recommends for a pipe-thread sealer.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTH2/?coliid=I2C34IAJPLZFEQ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The knock sensor has to be torqued into place--the actual torque on the sensor affects it's sensitivity. Follow service-manual torque spec so you're sure to get it right.

Last edited:

cgbude

Reaction score
Good to know I will have to get a new plug before I attempt to drain. Just to be clear, removing low radiator hose doesn't drain all the fluid from the block correct?