1989 K1500 oil pan R&R using BBC oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
I'll add pics next week, but I wanted to post this while it was still fresh in my mind-

In my opinion, the best way to R&R the oil pan in our trucks (at least a 1989 K1500) is as follows, as removing the engine mount bolts will not allow the engine to get high enough:

-Put vehicle on jackstands
-Disconnect battery obviously
-Remove upper front diff mounts on either side of engine (2 bolts/nuts)
-Remove front CV joints bolts on each side (6 bolts each)
-Disconnect front diff actuator (2 electrical plugs)
-Disconnect front driveshaft (4 bolts)
-Remove pass side diff mounts nuts, leave bolts in place (2 nuts)
-Remove driver's side diff mount bolt (1 bolt/nut)
-Remove torque converter / flywheel cover (4 bolts)
- I used a transmission jack to lower the diff, but one could use a floor jack and a dolly- it doesn't need to come all the way to the ground.
Now one has all the room to work you need.

If one is installing a BBC Melling MV99HVS- there are things you need to consider:

-The BBC pickup tube (oil pump outlet on the BBC pump body) is 90 degrees CW from the stock SBC oil pump, and the pump housing is thicker. I used a ARP stud (finger tight; it's through hole- the last thing you want to do is deform the bearing shell by over tightening the stud).
-The stock oil pan will need to be modified (sorry, I intended to snap a pic, but a description will have to suffice) in the sump area: if you're oriented looking at the sump (viewed from the rear of the truck), the "oval shaped windage" portion of the sump will have to be trimmed at the 2:30 to 3:00 clock position- it's not a lot; I cut away less than 1/2" strip in a curve from 2:30 to 3 o'clock. My stock pump pickup measured 6-1/2" from the oil pan rail to the bottom of the pickup; I put the 3/4" OD oval BBC pickup at the same distance.

BBC pumps provide more advantages than just volume. I usually install restrictors and a higher capacity pan with his pump, but I'm not doing wheelies or spinning this stock-ish 350 more than 5500 rpm, so...anyway.
BBC oil pumps have larger rotors and aren't as prone to spark scatter- there are reasons hotrodders have used them in SBCs for years- not least of these were the engines destroyed by the various Melling model / revisions of the stock SBC oil pumps. Used to be, one could simply replace the M55 with another. For the last 15 years, it's rolling the dice, in my opinion- ymmv.

Hope this helps.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll add pics next week, but I wanted to post this while it was still fresh in my mind-

In my opinion, the best way to R&R the oil pan in our trucks (at least a 1989 K1500) is as follows, as removing the engine mount bolts will not allow the engine to get high enough:

-Put vehicle on jackstands
-Disconnect battery obviously
-Remove upper front diff mounts on either side of engine (2 bolts/nuts)
-Remove front CV joints bolts on each side (6 bolts each)
-Disconnect front diff actuator (2 electrical plugs)
-Disconnect front driveshaft (4 bolts)
-Remove pass side diff mounts nuts, leave bolts in place (2 nuts)
-Remove driver's side diff mount bolt (1 bolt/nut)
-Remove torque converter / flywheel cover (4 bolts)
- I used a transmission jack to lower the diff, but one could use a floor jack and a dolly- it doesn't need to come all the way to the ground.
Now one has all the room to work you need.

If one is installing a BBC Melling MV99HVS- there are things you need to consider:

-The BBC pickup tube (oil pump outlet on the BBC pump body) is 90 degrees CW from the stock SBC oil pump, and the pump housing is thicker. I used a ARP stud (finger tight; it's through hole- the last thing you want to do is deform the bearing shell by over tightening the stud).
-The stock oil pan will need to be modified (sorry, I intended to snap a pic, but a description will have to suffice) in the sump area: if you're oriented looking at the sump (viewed from the rear of the truck), the "oval shaped windage" portion of the sump will have to be trimmed at the 2:30 to 3:00 clock position- it's not a lot; I cut away less than 1/2" strip in a curve from 2:30 to 3 o'clock. My stock pump pickup measured 6-1/2" from the oil pan rail to the bottom of the pickup; I put the 3/4" OD oval BBC pickup at the same distance.

BBC pumps provide more advantages than just volume. I usually install restrictors and a higher capacity pan with his pump, but I'm not doing wheelies or spinning this stock-ish 350 more than 5500 rpm, so...anyway.
BBC oil pumps have larger rotors and aren't as prone to spark scatter- there are reasons hotrodders have used them in SBCs for years- not least of these were the engines destroyed by the various Melling model / revisions of the stock SBC oil pumps. Used to be, one could simply replace the M55 with another. For the last 15 years, it's rolling the dice, in my opinion- ymmv.

Hope this helps.
My 5 qt pan did not have to be modified but my OE windage did reguire a slight amount of trimming.

The last L31 I pulled a part with the stock oil pump and stock bolt had contact with the main bearing that distorted it and caused a round wear spot visible on the bearing face.

The later small blocks actually use a M155 pump with a higher pressure spring and a 3/4" pickup. It is still the same thin wall junk casting though.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to tell in the picture because it was a bit blury, but the oil pump bolt damage on the bearing shell from distortion is circled. It was a mostly round, discolored spot on the bearing face inline with the bolt contact.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock oil pan will need to be modified (sorry, I intended to snap a pic, but a description will have to suffice) in the sump area: if you're oriented looking at the sump (viewed from the rear of the truck), the "oval shaped windage" portion of the sump will have to be trimmed at the 2:30 to 3:00 clock position- it's not a lot; I cut away less than 1/2" strip in a curve from 2:30 to 3 o'clock.

My 5 qt pan did not have to be modified but my OE windage did reguire a slight amount of trimming.
Yup, it's the windage tray, not the oil pan that needs to be modified.

My concern is that merely "cutting/trimming" the windage tray without reinforcing the cut edge, will lead to cracking of the tray. I'll add some material to mine so it's not just a sharp, trimmed edge subject to vibration.

The later small blocks actually use a M155 pump with a higher pressure spring and a 3/4" pickup. It is still the same thin wall junk casting though.
My understanding is that the weak pump bodies aren't a problem any more with the aftermarket Melling pumps. They may be a continuing problem with the OEM pumps sold to GM.

However, for at least ten years if not longer, Melling sold the weak, easily-broken SBC pump body over the counter; and expected that any "performance" application used the more-expensive pumps.