14 bolt 454 1991 differential ID question again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might get by on the right side. Was it seeping before?

The left side is "done". New axle shaft, or axle-saver bearing required.

Left side showed very minor leakage… just a little caked-on goo around the seal exterior, no bulk leakage at all.

Right side was clean.

The bearings look pristine on both sides.

Does a new axle necessitate a new bearing?

Axle supplier… ?

I may call DTS in Michigan.

Last edited:

Diver

Reaction score
I have the 14 bolt done and installed . So far so good. Got new spring perch ,u bolts and bottom brackets. new bearings and seals...... I measured pinion angle before a removed real end . The truck was on a lift and settled weight on axle stands . I remove old , raised truck off stands and put the 14 bolt on stands. i set the spring perch on and lowered truck on them. I then adjusted pinion on rear and shaft to adjust pinion and other measurements i took. I then tacked welded the spring perch and lifted truck so i could weld it solid. The 14 bolt housing with yoke was closer to the trans tail shaft.
I still had plenty of distance to avoid drive shaft coming forward and binding trans tail shaft. All and all it was quite a experience . Ive set up many differentials in drag cars years ago but this was my first with a truck.. I hope to use truck to pull a 7k toy trailer .

Next project is my hydro-boost brake install. I thank you all for the advice and help for me to get this rear end project done