14 bolt 454 1991 differential ID question again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diver

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 14 bolt rear end 5 lug . Outside is pretty rusty for sitting outside. My plan is to put it in my 88 c1500 2wd. I pulled the cover off and it is 373 with locker. Has backing plates with drum brakes . I will post pictures as soon as i can,
My question is what problems should i be looking for. Not racing just bought for towing
thanks all

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 14 bolt rear end 5 lug . Outside is pretty rusty for sitting outside ... what problems should i be looking for.

I bought a rear once... it must have been sitting on the ground for quite some time because it had extensive rust.

Rust perforated the axle tube and it started leaking fluid while I had it sitting on sawhorses.

All I wanted was the carrier and gears so the axle tube's condition wasn't a concern, except for the oil mess it left on the floor.

Last edited:

phantom 309

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 14 bolt rear end 5 lug . Outside is pretty rusty for sitting outside. My plan is to put it in my 88 c1500 2wd. I pulled the cover off and it is 373 with locker. Has backing plates with drum brakes . I will post pictures as soon as i can,
My question is what problems should i be looking for. Not racing just bought for towing
thanks all
Pretty rare rear end,.454 ss trucks only iirc...?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, that is a rare rear end.

Check the axle tubes like 1998_K1500 said. The common bad spats are where the u-bolts clamp to the leaf springs and check the plug welds where the tubes go into the diff housing.

I would replace the axle bearings and seals at least and possibly the pinion seal if there is any sign it was leaking before.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would pull the cover, inspect all the gears--ring, pinion (hard to see) side and spider gears. You don't want to see something like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Pull out the axle shafts, make sure the bearing and seal surfaces are acceptable. Again, you don't want to see this:

or this:

Fix whatever you find to be defective...but...I would not replace bearings or seals unless you can prove that they're worn.

Expect to need to do brake work--wheel cylinders, shoes, inspect/turn/replace drums, springs and hardware, flush the brake fluid including using a scan tool on the ABS, etc.

Fresh gear lube and a gasket on the cover. Four new U-bolts, and the U-bolt plates that came on the 14-bolt semi-float axle. A conversion U-joint, Precision 441 or equivalent, I think. Re-use your park brake cables unless they're worn/seized. Probably fresh rear brake hose, and brake tubes from hose to wheel cylinders.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(edit) I've re-written this and re-posted it.

The C/K2500-3500 leaf spring anchor plates, if you choose to use them, are available new on RockAuto for about $18/ea.

I bought them the other day and have confirmed fitment on my 9.5” 3.375"OD axle tubes. Their bolt holes accommodate the threads on a 5/8” U-bolt.

P/N 15592588 is supposedly for C/K2500 & C/K3500, which AFAIK use the 9.5" or 10.5" rear with 3.375" OD tubes.

P/N 15592586 is supposedly for C/K1500, I assume 8.5" with 3.125" OD tubes.

Last edited:

Diver

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. I completely disassembled the differential. Bought new seals, bearings for diff and axles . For some reason someone cut the spring perches off . I found out that my backing plates brakes and all swap in from my truck .Hopping to jut hang aside without unhooking brake lines.
The axles looked good to me but i had them checked and shop said they should be fine . I bought new spring perch's , Also found out my 10 bolt pinion yoke fit fine with the 14 bolt dust cover Now just looking for a pair of bottom axle saddle's or the larger tubes . Im hoping in a week or so to have it in the truck..
I may weld up tubes ,not sure yet. Not a truck for speed just for towing my trailers. My 76 years have taken a toll on mind and body lol