The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good info.
I do need to read about the front brake swap more...
And I need to tear into an axle. I should tear apart one on the way to the crusher just to study it.
I know of the NBS master cylinder swap, but did not think of including it here. But I also seen disc brake swaps without any other modification. Neighbor has a 2wd 96 2500 suburban with same 3.73 14 bolt FF, he had a disc brake conversion done that uses calipers sourced from a Toronado?

Also I understand that 2wd and 4wd gmt 400 14 bolt ff are a different width. Seems like i read the axle housing is the same, but an adapter that holds the drum is a different thickness???

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neighbor has a 2wd 96 2500 suburban with same 3.73 14 bolt FF, he had a disc brake conversion done that uses calipers sourced from a Toronado?
Ooooof. Probably the same caliper as the ElDorado. Maybe has weaker rear brakes than stock. But that will depend on rotor diameter, among other things.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know of the NBS master cylinder swap, but did not think of including it here.
The NBS master cylinder is not a good swap. Some guys like the firmer brake feel, but a couple of guys have reported nearly having accidents because they can't get enough brake pressure. If you swap one in, don't skip leg day.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The NBS master cylinder is not a good swap. Some guys like the firmer brake feel, but a couple of guys have reported nearly having accidents because they can't get enough brake pressure. If you swap one in, don't skip leg day.
I was one who was lead into this swap. Been on for about a year, maybe 2. TBH, never felt enough of a difference to be able to justify it and am going to swap back to the one meant for my setup.
Just did my shot rear brakes and drums.... Brakes feel incredible now. Should have done that instead of chasing the feel with the NBS swap. Maybe could have saved my drums.....

twebuh

Reaction score
Glove Box codes..

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO
What trucks came with the 4.56? I’m looking into doing 4.56 in my 3/4 ton 14bolt 9.5. It’s around 2 grand for a whole axle assembled with locker. Didn’t know any came with it stock. Was it duallys or somethin?

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found this great vid on how locking axles work. Good content
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Also I understand that 2wd and 4wd gmt 400 14 bolt ff are a different width. Seems like i read the axle housing is the same, but an adapter that holds the drum is a different thickness???
Dunno about the 14 bolt FF's, but in general, GMT400 2WD and 4WD axles are different widths, the 4WD being about 4" wider. In the lighter axles - 10 bolt and 14 bolt SF, the housing itself is wider. I would assume the same in the 14 FF.

Richard