How big is to big?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got my first personal obs, I've been around and worked on many. I have recently purchased a 1999 Chevy Suburban k1500. I've got questions for y'all that off-road and trail ride. I've always been interested in the old K5 but recently after seeing one was discouraged by the lack of cargo space. I'm planning on two kids and a dog and potential cross country trips with moderate(try not to break the truck) offroading although with the primary focus of hunting and fishing. So here's the conundrum, I've got the 42 gallon fuel tank in the trail of my burb and I'm scared of smacking it on rocks and such. Is it possible to reasonably lift a suburban, put it on no bigger than 35 in tires, and have enough ground clearance to enjoy a more technical off-road trail? How tall do I need to go and would 35s be enough? If not would it still be feasible to fit 4 people, gear, and dog on a cross country off-road/fly fishing trip to Wyoming? I'm at odds wether to build out my existing Suburban or to get something more apt to trail ride. I'm open to all suggestions of rig mods or rig selections. Also who makes skid plates for the GMT 400's because I can't find them?