daytime headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TICK

Reaction score
hello to everone. it's been a long minuate since i been on, still have my 89, and 98. the 98, i have a question about. it's a 98 cheyenne 2500, 5 spd 4wd. manual crank windows. reg. cab long bed. it has single square sealed beam headlights. with daytime on. is there some hack or wire to cut, to shut em off, and have them work normal ?

Attachments

• fifflestyk 096.jpg
    fifflestyk 096.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 3

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the DRL fuse in the fuse panel, driver side dashboard. I forget exactly which one it is - I *think* it's #16 but look in the owner's manual to be sure.

EDIT - appears I was close. Fuse #15 in the dash fuse panel, goes for the DRL relay.

Be sure you look closely at the fuse number markings. It's easy to mistake the row you're actually looking at unless you're getting a head-on view so you can see each row's numbers.

Richard

Last edited:

TICK

Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll watch the video. but i like the idea of being able to just pull a fuse. i didn't realize it was that easy, i'll go out and try it later, right now we are being flooded, i got water flowing everyware. and i'm on a mtn. crawdad walking down my driveway. also i have a 97 parts truck, it's got a good interior. buckets, console. power windows, when i get time, i'm swaping dash, seats, power windows. basicaly turning a cheyenne into a silverado.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We used to just put the e-brake down one click during our stealth activity back in the day.
I did that for a while in my '96 C3500 wrecker, until one night it started buzzing and arcing from just barely breaking the switch contact. Not a major thing but annoying and not good for the switch to leave it like that for any amount of time.

what is wrong with pulling the module like in the video other then more work
More work for sure, it's a little tricky to get to that module. Also, I have not verified this but I do believe if you disconnect/reconnect the DRL diode with battery power connected, it's possible you can damage it. A member on Chevytalk said this happened to him and while he's not 100% sure either (who wants to risk burning another one up just to prove it) - better safe than sorry.

Richard

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at the video (post#2) it appears as though the DRL indicator on the dash still illuminates (even after unplugging the DRL module), until the headlights are switched to on.

So really not much different than pulling the fuse, unless I missed something.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Looking at the video (post#2) it appears as though the DRL indicator on the dash still illuminates (even after unplugging the DRL module), until the headlights are switched to on.

no I think you got every thing but I will tell every one this I think some thing changed when the 800s came out I have a friend with a 2000 gmc base regular cab long bed 1500 4.3 and he can not get the drls to shut off he tried fuse(s) did not work do not know if they have a module like the 400s or what

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

The good news is, if the DRL indicator on the cluster bothers you, on a GMT400 it's cake to just pull the cluster and remove that one bulb. (On a GMT800 they're LED's soldered to the circuit board and the cluster is kind of a pain to crack open anyway.)

no I think you got every thing but I will tell every one this I think some thing changed when the 800s came out I have a friend with a 2000 gmc base regular cab long bed 1500 4.3 and he can not get the drls to shut off he tried fuse(s) did not work do not know if they have a module like the 400s or what
I don't know about a 2000 model GMT800 but I can tell you on our 2006's pulling the DRL relay in the underhood convenience center stopped the DRL's, no problem. Ours have been disabled for many years. The 800's use a high wattage bulb next to the turn signal, instead of burning the low beam headlight at a lower voltage.. and for some reason those bulbs seem to burn out quickly. I got tired of messing with them so I just pulled the relays.

Richard