90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Qa1 rear is coming along still, it was a bit of a surprise to me too, I wasn't expecting to buy it and just sort of yolo'ed it

I honestly don't care what anyone thinks about my build choices. Some won't understand, some might.

There is a shop near me that builds amazing pro touring cars, sort of took inspiration from their stuff. I'm not easily detoured from the look and function I have in my head. Again some will get it, some won't.
You are killin it bro! Beautiful truck done very very well, nice job.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright,

Going to try and bleed the brakes tomorrow and torque the upper a arm bolts.

Today I lowered the back down about 2.5- 2.75 inches to better match the front. we have about a 2 finger gap in the rear and about 1.5 fingers in the front.
You must be registered for see images attach

I think this will be a happy medium between the slammed first iteration and what it started at. I can maybe drop it down a bit more when I find some tires for a set of 18's. Looking at a tire size calculator the 18's with a 285-35-18 will be about 2 inches shorter in the front and about 3/4 inch shorter in the rear.
Currently it has
275-60-15 in the front 28 inch diameter
295-50- 15 in the rear 26.6 inch Diameter
285-35-18 going to all four at 25.9 inch diameter.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the width of tires you are suggesting, you may well need flares to cover them. Although some fellas used the factory 4wd flares. I think I have a pic or two saved with those on a 2wd truck.
And I have seen vette wheels on lowered trucks that look pretty good like this one.

Attachments

• 00AF063F-0550-4A7F-820F-1DE951FA8774.jpg
    00AF063F-0550-4A7F-820F-1DE951FA8774.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D041D97-E14F-45B0-BE47-90D4D7D1E14E.jpg
    6D041D97-E14F-45B0-BE47-90D4D7D1E14E.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 9
  • OIP (4).jpg
    OIP (4).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 9
  • OIP (6).jpg
    OIP (6).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 9
  • 1991 Corvette Chevy 01.jpg
    1991 Corvette Chevy 01.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9

chentecruz

Reaction score
I have a 1991 OBS GMC that I inherited when my Dad unexpectedly died in 2020. It was always going to be a gift to me from my Dad as it was from the year I was born and I’ve always loved the truck.

After my Dad passed I got married, my mom moved in with me, and I became a Dad myself. I’m finally in a place now to start working on the truck to honor my Dad and create memories with my kiddos. This thread is a huge motivation for me and I just wanted to say thank you.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the width of tires you are suggesting, you may well need flares to cover them. Although some fellas used the factory 4wd flares. I think I have a pic or two saved with those on a 2wd truck.
And I have seen vette wheels on lowered trucks that look pretty good like this one.
OBS chevy racing offers an adapter they call a 315 Adaptor. allows a 17-18 inch Zr1 or 10-11 wide wheel to fit with a 285-315 on all four corners. I think I am going to try that for a temporary solution to wheels and tires. I recently found some rocket racing flare wheels that look promising. I'm probably going to buy one of those tools you can mount a tire to to check wheel fitment. just to see what I can get away with.

I'm not nailed down to anything yet, still working it out. I actually don't mind the look of the fender flares. on the pictures you posted. might be an option to just clean up the look for now.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1991 OBS GMC that I inherited when my Dad unexpectedly died in 2020. It was always going to be a gift to me from my Dad as it was from the year I was born and I’ve always loved the truck.

After my Dad passed I got married, my mom moved in with me, and I became a Dad myself. I’m finally in a place now to start working on the truck to honor my Dad and create memories with my kiddos. This thread is a huge motivation for me and I just wanted to say thank you.

You're More than welcome. I Often struggle with motivation to finish projects (or start them). This thread was started more for a way to hold myself accountable to continue the process. It was also a good way to show nothing is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. I've made more than a few on this journey. In a world of Fake Instagram and social media I wanted a REAL story.

Not every project has to be this in depth, just getting it running and driving is the best part. Good luck on your journey, I hope you'll share it with us. :cheers:

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the transmission issue? Because I'm leaning towards a t-56 for my grandpas truck
The issue was with the old NV3500 was being broken LOL I broke the synchros from shifting too fast for the power it was making. that trans was really intended for the 5.0L making 180 HP not a 383 making (hopefully) 450 ish.

The T-56 is fantastic, its a very expensive hurdle, if you can afford it its a permanent solution for me, rated for more power than I plan to make. I went with the complete swap kit from American Powertrain. you can piece it together yourself for cheaper, my way was a less hassle solution. It took all the guess work out of the swap.

The mid mount shifter is Very close to the stock shift hole, minimal trimming and easy to make a cover plate for. you do have to source your own shift lever, however its not hard to find one that fits or fits your needs.