4L60E Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Nick,
I picked this up for $100 Please tell me I can use this in my '91 with park/neutral switch on the column,running a '95 PCM that has 4L60-E control.
You must be registered for see images attach

The BBC comes up '07 4.3L 1/2 ton 2WD. Yeah,I'll have to put more clutches in it.
Are you going to run some sort of adaptor kit that will enable you to mate a 300mm LS/Gen3 4L60E to a Gen1 SBC? Will you reprogram the 95 PCM to control the 1996-2008 PWM & 3-2 contrl solenoid and, if applicable, delete the MLPS and tell it to look at the 93-E95 column mounted NSS? 1905 was a stand alone year from a trans C3 perspective though can prob be reflashed...

If the answers to the above are not favorable, Id sell that core and build up/run a 95 4L60E unit instead.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy I got this from has a shop with probably a dozen Chevy trucks out front,looks like that's all they do and they've been there a long time. According to him these tranny's will bolt to a Gen1,you just don't use the 7th hole at the top. I'll do some more research to see what it takes to make it fit mechanically. Yes I will be reprogramming the PCM to change shift points and such. Seems I heard you explain about doing something in the tranny that deletes PWM for a more positive TCC lockup. The 1227747 PCM does have PWM capability but I would just as soon not have something that allows the TCC to slide in. I'm building a performance truck,not a slushy Cadillac.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy I got this from has a shop with probably a dozen Chevy trucks out front,looks like that's all they do and they've been there a long time. According to him these tranny's will bolt to a Gen1,you just don't use the 7th hole at the top. I'll do some more research to see what it takes to make it fit mechanically. Yes I will be reprogramming the PCM to change shift points and such. Seems I heard you explain about doing something in the tranny that deletes PWM for a more positive TCC lockup. The 1227747 PCM does have PWM capability but I would just as soon not have something that allows the TCC to slide in. I'm building a performance truck,not a slushy Cadillac.
Lol, No. How many chevy trucks he's worked on is irrelevant if that's what he's telling you...The changes in bell housing bolt pattern itself isn't important...Here's what's important: Pump stator, input shaft, bell housing depth and torque converter all changed for the Gen3 small blocks - all of those changes require adaptors to use with a Generation 1 small block or big block. Generation 1/2 SBCs require a 298mm input shaft, stator designed to work with that shaft, shallower bell housing owing to the shorter converter (shorter if sitting on the bench top) relative to a TMBX converter that went behind the LS/Gen. 3 engines. The bell housing on that transmission is significantly deeper than the 700R4 that's in your truck now. The TMBX converter that you'll need for it is significantly taller/longer than the C40 converter that's installed in your truck now. The input shaft design is different (Gen 1s and 2s used a pilot at the end of the shaft while Gen3s do not - the splines go all the way to the top of the input shaft.

Maybe he's getting confused between 4L60E and 4L80E interchangeability over the years...The 4L80Es, regardless of model year, require no adaptation to bolt behind the gen 1, gen 2 or gen3 engines so if you wanted to use an earlier 4L80E behind a Gen3 small block LS or truck engine, no problem - just don't use the top bolt...The relationship between the pump, torque converter and rear block architecture never changed so no changes were needed to the input shaft, pump stator, torque converter dimensions or bell housing depth...The only difference between a 93-98 and a 99+ 4L80E case when it applies to fitment is the top bolt, which isn't necessary.

So what adaptor kit and/or methods will you be using to bolt that 4L60E to your generation 1 small block?
I know they exist but couldn't tell you which ones to buy as I know nothing about them...But I've built many 700R4s and LS Swaps that use a carb in classic cars/trucks and they run the 700 in behind the LS1, 2, 3, etc so they are using some adaptor to make it all work, fitment wise.

ETA - $100.00 is a great price for that unit - they for for at least $150 here on CL and wholesalers typically seek $250+ for later model units so you should have no problem selling it to break even or even at a profit...I'd take it off your hands in a heartbeat for $100.00. So please don't feel as though you're married to it...

I get into the PWM in another post once you confirm/align to the above as you continue your research...

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, No. How many chevy trucks he's worked on is irrelevant if that's what he's telling you...The changes in bell housing bolt pattern itself isn't important...Here's what's important: Pump stator, input shaft, bell housing depth and torque converter all changed for the Gen3 small blocks - all of those changes require adaptors to use with a Generation 1 small block or big block. Generation 1/2 SBCs require a 298mm input shaft, stator designed to work with that shaft, shallower bell housing owing to the shorter converter (shorter if sitting on the bench top) relative to a TMBX converter that went behind the LS/Gen. 3 engines. The bell housing on that transmission is significantly deeper than the 700R4 that's in your truck now. The TMBX converter that you'll need for it is significantly taller/longer than the C40 converter that's installed in your truck now. The input shaft design is different (Gen 1s and 2s used a pilot at the end of the shaft while Gen3s do not - the splines go all the way to the top of the input shaft.

Maybe he's getting confused between 4L60E and 4L80E interchangeability over the years...The 4L80Es, regardless of model year, require no adaptation to bolt behind the gen 1, gen 2 or gen3 engines so if you wanted to use an earlier 4L80E behind a Gen3 small block LS or truck engine, no problem - just don't use the top bolt...The relationship between the pump, torque converter and rear block architecture never changed so no changes were needed to the input shaft, pump stator, torque converter dimensions or bell housing depth...The only difference between a 93-98 and a 99+ 4L80E case when it applies to fitment is the top bolt, which isn't necessary.

So what adaptor kit and/or methods will you be using to bolt that 4L60E to your generation 1 small block?
I know they exist but couldn't tell you which ones to buy as I know nothing about them...But I've built many 700R4s and LS Swaps that use a carb in classic cars/trucks and they run the 700 in behind the LS1, 2, 3, etc so they are using some adaptor to make it all work, fitment wise.

ETA - $100.00 is a great price for that unit - they for for at least $150 here on CL and wholesalers typically seek $250+ for later model units so you should have no problem selling it to break even or even at a profit...I'd take it off your hands in a heartbeat for $100.00. So please don't feel as though you're married to it...

I get into the PWM in another post once you confirm/align to the above as you continue your research...
Rrrrrrrrr! I hate it when you're right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just kidding!
OK, If I want to run it behind a '79 motor I will have to buy or make an adapter plate. Is it a favorable core for rebuilding? Worth paying for the plate?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My motor has two piece rear main. Researching that now!
Keep it simple and sell that 07 core or put it aside for something else. Acquire and build a 1995-2000 4L60E that's designed to work with the Gen1 small block platform and you will be fine. Any 4L60E can be built to how you want it built per your needs/application (within reason).

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score