1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh.. oem-style 60° conical lugs on the adapter to hub? The adapters have a conical seat? I woulda figured they'd go hub-centric and use 2-piece lugs with the captive washer.

Richard
Ya they didn't say not to use the factory ones and only provided the big ones. The adapters have the conical seat and are pretty tight to the hub. Idk if they are 60* or not but seems to be working fine....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No local truck stop or parts place in your area for big truck accessories? East Houston is full of em. Most in proximity to I-10; saw several on the trip to the LKQ yesterday.
Nothing of any decent size. The closest one is about 1.5 hrs away in colunbia, if you don't count the overpriced stuff in a regular truck stop that is.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ya they didn't say not to use the factory ones and only provided the big ones. The adapters have the conical seat and are pretty tight to the hub. Idk if they are 60* or not but seems to be working fine....
I probably already forgot my newly-learned lesson when I typed that. The OEM dually lugs are 90° while the regular non-dually wheel OEM lugs are 60° like most lug-centric stuff. Y'all (mostly modernbeat) straightened me out on that, but it became readily apparent when I needed to order a few lug nuts for the '93 dually because the 60° stuff I had here didn't seat properly. Pulled those lugs off and you could see where the seat got eaten up.

(You think I'd have considered that since I knew the 3500HD monster lugs are also 90° although completely different - 5/8 instead of 14mm)

So nevermind what I said about 60°.. I'd figure the guys making those adapters probably knew the dually lugs are 90° but you know what they say about assuming things. ;)

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I probably already forgot my newly-learned lesson when I typed that. The OEM dually lugs are 90° while the regular non-dually wheel OEM lugs are 60° like most lug-centric stuff. modernbeat and bluex straightened me out on that, but it became readily apparent when I needed to order a few lug nuts for the '93 dually because the 60° stuff I had here didn't seat properly. Pulled those lugs off and you could see where the seat got eaten up.

(You think I'd have considered that since I knew the 3500HD monster lugs are also 90° although completely different - 5/8 instead of 14mm)

So nevermind what I said about 60°.. I'd figure the guys making those adapters probably knew the dually lugs are 90° but you know what they say about assuming things. ;)

Richard

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has the ability to un-know stuff that I once knew.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
60/90/120 whatever :rolleyes:

So today's fun was replacing the brake master. I wasn't happy with the pedal feel an I really thought the master was bad. It was very mushy an was nearly on the floor when you got stopped.

When I had it aligned the tech said he thought my Right caliper was sticking, an this is what prompted replacing them. Well it still felt like it was sticking with this new caliper. I did the scanner abs bleed 3 times and vacuum/pedal pump bleeding so many times I lost count (at least 48 oz of fluid). The truck would stop but the pedal was basically on the floor and the brake light would then come on.

So, I got a master an was going to try that. The right caliper sticking had me thinking the abs module was bad so I hit the parts truck for the ABS delete special...
You must be registered for see images attach

Bye felica..

A few hours later I had all the 93 front lines in everything hooked up an I started the bleeding once again. An once again I've been through at least 32 oz of fluid this time an guess what....

Still a crappy pedal feel that will eventually go right to the floor. It seems to stop ok, maybe slightly better than before but not by much. It will lock both rear tires now an I have gotten rid of the squealing an that one dr rear locking up on its own from my original problem list but it definitely isn't a confidence inspiring pedal feel, not that it ever was originally though.

Im having flashbacks to the Z71 lift kit install where I had trouble with the brakes there too. I HATE GMT400 brakes, for the life of me I can't understand why they are so troublesome to get a decent pedal. I could have had a 73-87 with a great pedal that put you through the windshield with 1/4 of the time I've spent on this. This being a 1 ton doesn't have the quick take up master or the low drag calipers that are normally the culprit, so I'm really confused here.

I wonder if a 70s C30 master would fit this booster...

Anyhow at least the engine bay looks less cluttered I guess :shrug:

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy, you and I are in the same boat. I am having the same issue with my ‘95. We even did the same steps!

Bad ABS module, replaced with combination valve from JB7 equipped ‘94 K2500. In the rear I replaced both wheel cylinders, new shoes, all new hardware, all adjusted to spec. Up front I’ve got new calipers. All the lines are new NiCopp, SS, and stainless braided. I gravity bled the system, moved a lot of fluid through, then did the pump method, again a good stream. Pedal was still soft so I replaced the master. Bench bled then re-bled with it on the truck, then bled the system again. Still an incredibly soft pedal.

I gave up. Just hauled it to the dealer tonight after fighting it for 3 weekends. It also needs aligned again.

Frustrating that we followed the same path and reached the same frustrating end. When I get my truck back on Friday I will let you know what they said the issue was, might help you out. The dealer I go to still has 4 mechanics who were there when these trucks were new. They always work on my truck on the occasion I take it in.

My dad helped me out on this step of my project and he is also really stumped. He’s done many a brake line and brake job on these trucks.