What's the normal coolant temperature operating range after running for half hour in driveway at idle. for a 1998 Chevy Silverado K1500, 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What's the normal coolant temperature operating range after running for half hour to an hour in driveway at idle, on hot sunny day 91 degrees in Florida. For a 1998 Chevy Silverado K1500, 5.7?
Mine is sitting at 199 degrees according to scan tool. (My gauges are broken. But truck has 295k miles and is still running good.
Thank you for your help,
Kurt

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the normal coolant temperature operating range after running for half hour to an hour in driveway at idle, on hot sunny day 91 degrees in Florida. For a 1998 Chevy Silverado K1500, 5.7?
Mine is sitting at 199 degrees according to scan tool.

That doesn’t sound unreasonable, just a little above the OE thermostat temperature.

AC on?

What’s the temperature shown by the scan tool when you when you do the same thing in cooler ambient temperatures… still 199, or something lower like 190?

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That doesn’t sound unreasonable, just a little above the OE thermostat temperature.

AC on?

What’s the temperature shown by the scan tool when you when you do the same thing in cooler ambient temperatures… still 199, or something lower like 190?

Sounds reasonable. Honestly anything under 225F is within the range of reason with a 195F thermostat. The 195F thermostat is not fully open until ~217F and the thermal fan clutch generally does not fully lock in until the engine hits ~210F. It will lock in a little sooner with ac use as the condenser heats the airflow through the cooling stack more. 195F rating is the temperature the thermostat starts to open at.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is sitting at 199 degrees according to scan tool.
Thermostat rating plus about five degrees. Your vehicle is perfectly fine, assuming you have a 195 thermostat.

The bigger question is why you allow a vehicle to idle for an hour. Nothing good can come of that. The eco-nutjobs don't like vehicles idling long enough for a stop-light to turn green.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thermostat rating plus about five degrees. Your vehicle is perfectly fine, assuming you have a 195 thermostat.

The bigger question is why you allow a vehicle to idle for an hour. Nothing good can come of that. The eco-nutjobs don't like vehicles idling long enough for a stop-light to turn green.
I have let engines idle for 2+ hours sitting completely stopped in traffic jams in Park. Happens often thanks to major accidents here.

The 87 G20 idled for 45 minutes at under 5 mph last Friday thanks to a road construction related traffic jam. Ran around 200F. A few minutes after slowing down, I had increase the ac blower fan to high speed activating the ac condenser pusher fan. AC held steady around 45F at the center vent and engine around 200F. Could have sat and idled all day like that without getting hot. I will only let them low idle 10 minutes without bringing it up to 1,500+ for ~15 seconds. Roller cam needs the added rpm to help lubricate the rollers periodically.

Last edited:

95 Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds fine. Mine was climbing to 225 in 15 minutes. I believe my radiator was fouled. It sat dry for 2 months while rebuilding the engine. I ended up replacing the radiator and using the 11 blade fan. Now it stays at the thermostat setting roughly.

Reaction score

AC on?

We haven't had cooler weather... And I never checked it before with a scan tool.

Reaction score
I have let engines idle for 2+ hours sitting completely stopped in traffic jams in Park. Happens often thanks to major accidents here.

The 87 G20 idled for 45 minutes at under 5 mph last Friday thanks to a road construction related traffic jam. Ran around 200F. A few minutes after slowing down, I had increase the ac blower fan to high speed activating the ac condenser pusher fan. AC held steady around 45F at the center vent and engine around 200F. Could have sat and idled all day like that without getting hot. I will only let them low idle 10 minutes without bringing it up to 1,500+ for ~15 seconds. Roller cam needs the added rpm to help lubricate the rollers periodically.
Thank you

Reaction score

So a few years ago (5 to be exact) I was ran over in a hit and run (never caught the scum bag that hit us) motorcycle wreck. After a month in a coma, a year straight in the hospital, over 35 surgeries and procedures. Many broken or shattered bones and squished guts.... I ended up with a paralyzed left leg and paralyzed vocal chords and limited movement in my right arm. Lots of nerve damage in my lower back also. While I was in the hospital my truck was broken into and my instrument cluster was smashed (probably kids)... I've been in bad shape and this last year I've been able to walk with a walker and brace on left leg.... And I can drive since my truck is an automatic after 3 bad clusters from EBAY, I decided to make my own dash.... I'll attach a picture of where I'm at with it.. I e been using scan tool in driveway to make sure all my sensors and things are ok after it's sat for several years. Which in my opinion is way worse then letting it idle for half an hour or more hopefully the eco nuts will be understanding after all it didn't run for at least 3 years but it's running good . Just need to figure out the wiring for the instrument cluster plug next, so I can wire up my new gauges and lights and turn signals, etc,..
Thank you for replying and helping me. Kurt Holzbacher
Heck if you Google my name you will see the hit and run story. My wife "just" got a broken pelvis. She walks with a cane but is otherwise fine. I wish the person got caught or came forward not being able to work anymore sucks... I always wanted to not have to work. Now the days fly by and I do nothing. So I'm trying to fix my truck.
Thank you again

Attachments

• IMG_20240731_214917__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20240731_214917__01__01.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 13