Vortec parts on non vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88ChevyMan

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask it in hopes of being wrong. Can I take the nice pretty, flat distributor cap off a vortec engine and put it on a NON vortec distributor? I really like the style of the flat one, and I think it'd really doll the engine bay up.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask it in hopes of being wrong. Can I take the nice pretty, flat distributor cap off a vortec engine and put it on a NON vortec distributor? I really like the style of the flat one, and I think it'd really doll the engine bay up.
I believe the distributor base where the caps mount, is different size on TBI and Vortec distributors.....
Not only that, the base of the TBI cap has a notch for the module, whereas the Vortecs have the module outside the distributor, on a bracket next to the coil, on the side of the intake manifold.
So to answer your question.... nope not happening, without way more work than it's worth.

Last edited:

88ChevyMan

Reaction score
I believe the distributor base where the caps mount, is different size on TBI and Vortec distributors.....
Not only that, the base of the TBI cap has a notch for the module, whereas the Vortecs have the module outside the distributor, on a bracket next to the coil, on the side of the intake manifold.
So to answer your question.... nope not happening, without way more work than it's worth.
What about vortex style TBI cap? I really do like the way these look, and I think it'd be snazzy on my TBI with a nice chrome air cleaner on it

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The Vortec cap is also a garbage design.
The vented, brass contacts cap, makes the best of a bad situation....that and extra wire separators. Those are more easily done on a van though, than on the pickups and SUVs. Y'all van folks have easy access to the back and top sides of the engine, and poor access to the front of it. Backwards from the rest of us....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about vortex style TBI cap? I really do like the way these look, and I think it'd be snazzy on my TBI
Got a link to that cap? Brand/part number?

with a nice chrome air cleaner on it
I'd rather have the "cold" air induction of the OEM air cleaner.

Or are you suggesting a chrome lid on the OEM air cleaner base 'n' ducting?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either Accel or Mallory at one time made a cap for early HEI that was like the 96 and up Vortec cap. Late 70s early 80s
I've never seen any , even at car shows, I don't think they went over well.