Vacuum pump recommendation for AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Well, gotta replace the evaporator. Damaged it trying to clean the crud out of it. Best I can see with the camera, I damaged the fins and now the air doesn't flow hardly at all.

Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable vacuum pump for this? It seems you can spend as much as you want here, they range from $60 up. Already have a manifold gauge and I'll look up the whole process soon.

Second question. Since the rest of the system is functioning fine, is it OK just to evacuate, replace the evaporator, pull vacuum and test for leaks, then recharge?

I'd rather not spend the cash on a bunch of parts right now but I also know that replacing some parts on AC with old parts still there can be problematic.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I needed an A/C vacuum pump, I went to O'Reillys and got their "loaner" pump and a bottle of air-pump oil.

I had to actually pay for the oil, but the cost of the loaner vacuum pump was entirely refunded.

Can't beat that.

Ran the pump for an hour or so, closed the valves, shut the pump off, looked at the low-side gauge...and let it sit overnight. Came back the next morning, tapped the low-side gauge. It didn't move from the night before. Turned on the pump, opened the valves, let it suck for another ten minutes and called it good.