underhood paint that holds up, for firewall and inners, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing mine soon, and have tried alot of spray cans. Nothing really holds up, I like it glossy, use gloss black, after a year or so it gets dull and doesn't look too good.

I'd like to find something that holds up better. POR15 and such is almost out of the question for me, too expensive.

Anyone used rustoleum brush on? I picked up a quart of it to try, I used it on my frame last year.

Anyone tried engine enamel? Not sure if it would hold up better or not.

Maybe reg. spray gun stuff? if so we're talking the stuff you'd put on the body outside, same stuff. or in my case mixed in spray cans from the body shop supply. I would bet it would hold up, but it to is not cheap. Around $20 per can.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you use the flat, semi gloos, or high gloss there fast orange?

I bet rock gaurd, bedliner or undercoat would work good, but I want shiney lol.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
you use the flat, semi gloos, or high gloss there fast orange?

I bet rock gaurd, bedliner or undercoat would work good, but I want shiney lol.

Semi-Gloss, i used gloss black on my wheel wells at one point, but they never turned out nice at all.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is always my problem. I sanded dad's and prepped them right, grease and wax remover and all and used krylon, looked great at first, like spray gun paint, but like a year later, looks like they are semi gloss or flat black, they are not as deep, dark black, and nowhere near as shiney as they used to be.

I used old cheap dollar something a can from magic mart on mine, firewall doesn't look bad, but the inners suck.

bowtiedude

Reaction score
Try using paint geared to heavy equipment or farm equipment the stuff is usually tough as nails. Temco and Tractor Supply also has a line of equipment enamel (made by Valspar IIRC). This stuff is geared toward severe duty. Just a few suggestions.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea no tractor places around here, only a lowes and not even really a lawnmower repair shop.

I do have the rustoleum though, it's tough I guess. I need to crawl under and check out my frame and bed after a nasty winter, see how it shines.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are just after keeping the shine I wonder what would happen if you tried using the aresol clear coat?
I did my firewall about 4 years ago and still holds up great but is not shiny anymore.

I have never had anything last on the frame. Rockergaurd, POR15 or rust gaurd. Normally find cheapest black paint, scrape frame and then spray once in spring and once in fall.