Undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 90 2wd that I am soon to take the bed off of and do some rust repair. After I have the whole area cleaned up I am looking to coat the underside of the bed, coat the frame and what I can reach with an either rust reformer/sealer combo, or a all in one system. The only reason I want to stay away from POR-15 is the price. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty much anything BUT a asphalt or bitumen type coating. Water gets up underneath and rusts it out and you can't tell until it's too late.
The best thing....in MY opinion, clean it up as much as possible, use a converter spray, let it do it's thing and dry thoroughly. Then choose your favorite black spray paint and have at it. Then keep touching it up as needed. make it a maintenance item, like at your oil change time.

I know some use oil based stuff, like Krown, I've never tried it, so I'm not going to comment on it, other than some swear by it, as long as you keep it applied yearly.

Not sure where in the US you live, but it will be different in Arizona vs Michigan.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I was kind of wondering if the rust converter would be the route to go. Think some rust oleum tractor paint would work good? And I live in Iowa, so the winters are harsh here, but the goal is to not drive my truck in the winter unless I have to. But I’m sure that won’t happen all the time