Travel plans help about salt on roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My shop owner friend, here in Junction City, Or., specializes in the Toyota 4.0 engines for timing cover leak repair and timing chain with the VVT set ups. I help when those are in his shop and there is a member at the FJ Cruiser Forum that is coming from Orange County and dropping the truck for work and does not want to travel on roads that use salt for snow/ice clearance. I am up against a wall trying to find definitive info for counties where I-5 travels thru Ca. and Or. Any members that live close or know, please share if you know. Thanks in advance. What you see below is a post at the FJ Cruiser Forum.

Hopefully I can get some help here. I am trying to look up best route for @greengoose to travel from Orange County area to Junction City, Oregon. The problem can be traveling here in February/March and whether there is salt on the roads as you travel up I-5 in the winter time. It is almost impossible to find a list of Ca. counties that use salt on their roads, along I-5, or even a mixture of salt brine and sand or whatever mixture there is that includes salt of some sort. I searched for 45 minutes this morning with no luck. There is a definite list for the Northeastern states but not Ca. and I will be looking here in Oregon. Hopefully there are some members here that can share what they know. thanks in advance. I will also be posting this on 2 other forums I am a member of.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd be less concerned about where to drive. He could rent a truck and a trailer to pull his beloved FJ, or have the underside of it sprayed with Krown T40 or Fluid Film, or just drive it through and wash it afterwards.

If it was me, I'd have it sprayed and then wash it after. I've actually done that. My '88 Town Car is rust free. I had it treated with Krown T40 twice. Drove to Florida in the winter and got caught in salt spray coming back home. Washed it, still no rust.

rzr6-4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....it's summer. There hasn't been any salt added to the road in months, and the salt from last winter is probly all washed off from the rain. Even if there is some residue, without some form of moisture to lift it it will all be stuck to the road anyway.

My 93 Sierra is rusty garbage underneath, but my 09 Ram is still pretty clean, despite also spending its entire life in salt country. Even if he does have to make a trip in the time of year where there may be salt, if 15 years of salt hasn't hurt it (much), I don't think one singular trip will hurt his FJ. Just spend 10min with the garden hose when he gets back and it'll be fine.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
.....it's summer. There hasn't been any salt added to the road in months, and the salt from last winter is probly all washed off from the rain. Even if there is some residue, without some form of moisture to lift it it will all be stuck to the road anyway.

My 93 Sierra is rusty garbage underneath, but my 09 Ram is still pretty clean, despite also spending its entire life in salt country. Even if he does have to make a trip in the time of year where there may be salt, if 15 years of salt hasn't hurt it (much), I don't think one singular trip will hurt his FJ. Just spend 10min with the garden hose when he gets back and it'll be fine.
This 2010 FJ Cruiser is his baby. He bought it new in 2010. Has 155k miles on it. Never been in the salt. He has money enough that he told my shop owner friend and myself that he insists on all Toyota parts when we do his timing chain work. In all likely hood, he will travel most of the way, once he hits Northern Ca. and cuts over, on to Hiway 101 to Florence and then straight east to Junction City, Or.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get some help here. I am trying to look up best route for @greengoose to travel from Orange County area to Junction City, Oregon. The problem can be traveling here in February/March and whether there is salt on the roads as you travel up I-5 in the winter time. It is almost impossible to find a list of Ca. counties that use salt on their roads, along I-5, or even a mixture of salt brine and sand or whatever mixture there is that includes salt of some sort. I searched for 45 minutes this morning with no luck. There is a definite list for the Northeastern states but not Ca. and I will be looking here in Oregon. Hopefully there are some members here that can share what they know. thanks in advance. I will also be posting this on 2 other forums I am a member of.
I don't know how many people know this, but gravel roads are made with salt, calcium chloride to be exact, and a LOT of it. I was looking at the bidding documents of a project years ago and noticed this. Deicing isn't our only enemy!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Back in March of 2022, I retired and had plans to move back to a salt road state of Mo. where I grew up. I was all set to buy a hose attached multi spray roller sprayer that I could wash under my Tahoe with. Thankfully, me and my girl decided to move in together and I stayed in a rust free state of Oregon.