Trailer brake wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikey1971

Reaction score
I have a 1989 K1500. I’m wiring for 7pin connector. Issue I have is signal from brake switch to controller. I tied into the white wire under the steering column(12v when brake applied). I verified it has 0V no brake applied, 12V applied. I get a “short” message on the controller. If I supply 12v from a different source for test purposes only it seems to be ok. Can someone tell me where they are getting their 12V in brake applied signal to the controller from? I almost think I need a separate switch and can’t tie into the white wire.

Reaction score
If youre getting it to light a test light with only brake pedal application than itll work as the pedal signal to the controller
-White on the controller is ground.
-Black on controller is B+
-Red on the controller gets wired to the brake pedal circuit 12v when brake applied
-Blue on the controller is wired all the way to the trailer plug
I'd double check you're wiring first only because I've since quite a few guys swap the wires around due to the controllers having odd color coding
Hope that helps!

Mikey1971

Reaction score
If youre getting it to light a test light with only brake pedal application than itll work as the pedal signal to the controller
-Red on the controller gets wired to the brake pedal circuit 12v when brake applied
I'd double check you're wiring first only because I've since quite a few guys swap the wires around due to the controllers having odd color coding
Hope that helps!
Hope that helps!
I verified the wiring. Looks like the signal wire out of the brake switch also then goes to the hazards/turn signals. I tried it again and still get a short signal message on the controller. I also provided 12V from a different source and no message. It’s very strange.