Towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter 21

Reaction score
So I recently acquired a 86 24ft bumper pull camper ~5800lbs loaded and am curious if my truck could handle it ok, 1992 gmc Sierra k1500 it has the 5.7tbi, and if there’s anything I should look into getting for said truck prior to towing. I know I want to get a trans temp gauge for sure. I’ve already put a trailer brake controller on it (red arc). Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7887.jpeg
    IMG_7887.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 5

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread that's very relevant, from earlier this year:

Read every post, they cover a lot of ground.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to the junkyard and find a class 4 receiver. That's where I scored the receivers for both WCJr and Roscoe. Bought off-the-shelf I'd have spent about $500, but I spent about $70 for both. Inspect for cracks or bending before buying. I don't like towing anything with the bumper.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to the junkyard and find a class 4 receiver. That's where I scored the receivers for both WCJr and Roscoe. Bought off-the-shelf I'd have spent about $500, but I spent about $70 for both. Inspect for cracks or bending before buying. I don't like towing anything with the bumper.
I'd also take a hitch with me to make sure it can slide in/out easily as step #1. I've had a few receivers rust/swell inside.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I recently acquired a 86 24ft bumper pull camper ~5800lbs loaded
have you confirmed the actual wieght?, seems pretty light for that size unit loaded, imo.
you'll definitely know your pulling it.

add a big trans cooler, don't pull in 0/D.
get a good quality equalizer hitch and set it up correctly.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with the trailer brakes and wheel bearings and tires and the wiring all the way to the truck plug in.
Any and all RVs are garbage built just like cheap boats are garbage built.
The problem is that in normal slow towing your truck will stop the trailer in a straight line.
In a panic stop your truck will stop but the trailer doesnt.
That is how you end up jacknifing.
If the trailor doesnt have brake priority it will keep traveling in a straight line and it will trip the ass end of the truck and you will roll over.
If the trailer brakes dont work at all that trailor will try to pass you while you are sideways and trip the truck over.
Rvs and trailers are junk built Wobbly box garbage.
****** brakes with ****** cheap hubs on tin foil axles with 40 feet of drooping crappy wiring leading to the plug.
Thats from the factory.
Wait untill you crawl under it and see what the last owner did to it.
If they did anything.
Before you worry about the truck brakes you need to take a real good look at those wimpy trailer tires and the **** wiring and bearings on the weak ass trailer brakes.
They need to work first.