Threw the Parts Cannon at it. Maybe ECM???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caspian1911

Reaction score
Hey Guys mine is a 92 C/K 2500 Silverado 5.7 RWD mileage is 101200
Here Are My Problems:
power sputters/Shutters after warm up only under load in gear
occasionally stalls after warm up at low RPM like backing up.
struggling to start but only after its been warmed up.

I've replaced the EGR Valve. the Distributer and Coil, cap and rotor button, TPS, O2 censor, Knock sensor, cut out the Cat converter. dropped the gas tank and replaced Fuel pump and cleaned out the tank.
The code I'm receiving is 42
I have thrown every thing I know at this thing and its still the same symptoms. I set the timing at 0 but its seems a little sluggish.

Could all this be my ECM does anyone have any ideas before I bite the bullet and die inside by taking it to get serviced I've never been this stumped before. Thank you all in advance for any help.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I assume when you did the cap and button that you changed the plugs and wires?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
42Ignition control module (ICM) – electronic spark timing (EST)/ignition control (IC)/bypass circuit malfunctionWiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, ICM, ECM

maybe time to download manuals and do some reading and invest in a scanner.

the manuals have excellent code/trouble shooting guide.

ECM would be the very last thing to replace after confirming everything else is ok, imo.

Is 42 your only code?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recent thread that's still going with somewhat similar issue. A 454 but maybe some relevant info as well....

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here Are My Problems:

I've replaced the EGR Valve. the Distributer and Coil, cap and rotor button, TPS, O2 censor, Knock sensor, cut out the Cat converter. dropped the gas tank and replaced Fuel pump and cleaned out the tank.
I have thrown every thing I know at this thing and its still the same symptoms. I set the timing at 0 but its seems a little sluggish.

Could all this be my ECM does anyone have any ideas before I bite the bullet and die inside by taking it to get serviced I've never been this stumped before. Thank you all in advance for any help.
What are the RPMs when the selector is in Park and Drive?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ECM really is pretty reliable. It's the other things that wear out, fail, need regular service. Follow the diagnostic in the service manual for that code, it will guide your troubleshooting to repair. Or you can keep guessing and replacing parts that are good.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here Are My Problems:

How do the plugs look?