Swapping an 88-89 dashboard into a 94, whats different?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeybsyc

Reaction score
I have a 94 with a badly broken dash. I found a parts truck that's earlier, 88 or 89 with the 4 headlights and original style gauges. I see on LMC they list 2 different repro dashes, and from the single photo i can see in their catalog it looks like maybe the way the instrument cluster plugs into the dash housing is different. That's the only thing i can spot in the 2 photos at least. I know this donor dash has cloth over the speaker grilles vs just plain plastic on my 94, but that's not a big deal to me, just wanna be sure the swap will work.... I'd like to use my original gauge cluster and just replace the busted dash itself... but dont wanna go though all the work of removing the dash from the 88/89 donor if my gauge pod/cluster can't be swapped into it from my 94. Has anyone done this and aside from modifying the wiring/connector hole behind the gauge cluster, is there anything else thats different or going to cause issues?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It can be modified to work, but I don't think the cluster will go in like it did from the factory unless you're able to get the cluster connector hole just right. But if I recall correctly, that's the only majorly significant difference between 88-91 and 92-94 dash bodies.

joeybsyc

Reaction score
Not to sound stupid, but if i just opened up the back of the dash wouldn't the cluster plug in fine even if the hole wasn't exactly perfect? Not exactly sure what it looks like behind there as I've never taken one apart, just looking at the photos on LMC. Does the gauge housing attach the same way on both dashes? Thanks for the fast reply btw.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The gauge body itself does mount the same, yes. The difference is how the connector in the dash attaches to the dash itself and the cluster - the connector is mounted back there, and the cluster pushes onto it when you mount it. So yes, if the hole is not perfect but the connector is not falling back into the dash when you go to put the cluster on, it could work. But I'd very much try to at least get it closer than not ;)

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
The 92-94 cluster connector is just fingers that push into a cavity on the back of the cluster that has a flexi-circuit "board" back there, so there's far less positive retention than the pin/socket arrangement that 88-91 use. The possibility for the connector to fall out of place is there.

92-94 dash has a raised area in the plastic that supports the connector so that when you push the cluster onto it and then screw the cluster to the dash, the connector can't come loose. 88-91 have a deeper recess back there and a different shape hole for the connector.

Richard