Stock 350 3/4 ton transmission options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AC89K2500

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, my name is Ashton from Iowa. I recently acquired a fairly clean ‘89 3/4 ton Chevy with a stock 350 small block. It currently has the 3 speed manual which I find to be horrendous for anything above 55mph. I’m looking into the idea of a 4l80 swap and was wondering if anyone has a list of parts I’ll need to replace in order to make this happen. This is just a project truck so I’ve got all the time in the world to trace parts, I’m just trying to come up with a game plan in advance so when I get to that point there are few/no surprises. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Ashton,

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the below threads if you havent already done so

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would find a junkyard truck to poach the trans, t case and both driveshafts from. Then I would have a pro rebuild the trans and then look at the standalone trans controllers.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
You say it's horrendous above 55,what about a gear ratio change? I didn't know they were still installing 3spd's in '89.
I do not think there were any more 3 speed manuals left I would bet that the the truck in question is a 4 speed sm465 and that the shift knob has L123 or L234 maybe have seen some that only that were printed 1234 but do not know if any left the factory or if those were aftermarket from the gmt400 wikipedia page
You must be registered for see images attach

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
to the op if you actually have a ms465 I keep it is a great transmission nearly bullet proof and very strong can take just about any thing you can through at it is a heavy duty transmission and shifts like one and acts like it is not like a m22 rock/stone crusher that you bang shift personally the only reason I would get rid of a sm465 is to replace it with another one or upgrade to a early nv4500