speedometer acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
ok so im new here but ive been looking on the site for a while ive got a problem now so i need some advice. ok ive got a 1996 2500 silverado with the 5.7 vortec and 5 speed tranny. i was on my way home from work last night and when i went to slow down to exit the highway my abs light came on then my speedometer dropped down to zero now the speedo only works above about thirty five miles an hour but the abs light stays on. any input? p.s. sorry for the long first post just wanted to be as thorough as possible

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would look at the VSS first.
Yes, and the wiring going to it, because it is the speed sensor for your gauges, as well as the rear speed sensor for the abs, and if the abs get a different speed signal, from the front 2 sensor's than it does from the rear it won't function correctly.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
ok well thats what my buddy was thinking it could be but i wanted to ge your guys opinion.... much appreciation for the replies if i get the problem resolved i will let you guys know thanks again