Slow Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honda and Nissan have beautiful shades of blue. I saw a newer car this afternoon that was almost cobalt blue; couldn't decide whether to be blue or purple.
Yeah,I recently saw that dark,purplish blue on something and wished it had been available back when I was painting bikes. It looked like it was two inches deep. I think it's a candy color with a silver base and plumb pearl in the blue translucent. Harley had a paint that looked like root beer at one angle,dark green at another and dark blue at another. First time I'd ever seen a three stage color shift. It was on my buddies Road King.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah,I recently saw that dark,purplish blue on something and wished it had been available back when I was painting bikes. It looked like it was two inches deep. I think it's a candy color with a silver base and plumb pearl in the blue translucent. Harley had a paint that looked like root beer at one angle,dark green at another and dark blue at another. First time I'd ever seen a three stage color shift. It was on my buddies Road King.
Oh yes the harlequin colors were all the rage 10-15 years ago...boy are they expensive though. Actually the DuPont chromalusion paints came out in the late 90s. I remember the model car builders who did NASCAR, talking about how expensive it was to properly replicate the #24 car with that livery. Testors has some spray can colors with flip flop color ranges, seen em at hobby lobby but they're not cheap either.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mazda has a gorgeous candy apple red that must have a silver base(it POPS in the sun!)

I recently was having a car color conversation with one of my daughters, and she actually brought up
this very color. I'm more of a dark blue person myself, and consider the majority of reds out
there to be borderline unattractive...but that new Mazda candy apple red is stunning in person. (!)

So attractive in fact that I looked it up on the interwebs, and I wasn't disappointed by Mazda's description: (Artisan Red Premium)

You just gotta tip your hat to enthusiasts that push hard for something exceptional in their sphere of influence,
especially in the corporate world.

I for one think that a old Fiat Spider in that color would a sparkly little gem on the open road...

EDIT: Here's a wiki link for those who have never seen one of these little 2-seaters before: (Fiat 124 Spider)
I had one of these follow me home from a Fall Carlisle show years ago. What little it did, it did with
a great song & much joy. You couldn't help but grin while driving it around. And it's nickname was the
Tomato, for that was it's color.

I enjoyed that car as much as I enjoy the chore truck, obviously for different reasons. I'm all about vehicles that
give more than they get. :0)

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a run-down of my Independence Day truck activities.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Greetings nineno,

I really enjoyed your detailed writeup -- felt like I was there!

And the beauty shot of your engine bay with the unconventional repowerplant is duly impressive.

Thanks for sharing. Color me motivated. :waytogo:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I recently was having a car color conversation with one of my daughters, and she actually brought up
this very color. I'm more of a dark blue person myself, and consider the majority of reds out
there to be borderline unattractive...but that new Mazda candy apple red is stunning in person. (!)

So attractive in fact that I looked it up on the interwebs, and I wasn't disappointed by Mazda's description: (Artisan Red Premium)

You just gotta tip your hat to enthusiasts that push hard for something exceptional in their sphere of influence,
especially in the corporate world.

I for one think that a old Fiat Spider in that color would a sparkly little gem on the open road...
:0)
My dad loved red trucks, although he only ever had one. His dream square body truck was a red CCLB, or a red 2500 Burb. I always thought that plain red trucks, especially big ones, look like a fire truck. Metallic or candy reds, though... those, I really dig.

nineno

Reaction score
I really enjoyed your detailed writeup -- felt like I was there!

And the beauty shot of your engine bay with the unconventional repowerplant is duly impressive.

Thanks for sharing. Color me motivated. :waytogo:
Thank you, Road Trip.

I know my posts can be long reads, but my hope is to share the project successes, failures and obscure solutions that I come across with the hope someone else can benefit from them. I usually try to max out the pictures-per-post to keep some visual interest, as well. (I need to do a better job of photo-documenting on my next wave of projects.)

Most us us need a little help getting motivated to work on whatever from time to time; if I can help motivate another car/truck/bike enthusiast to work on their project, that's a great success.

Again, thanks for the feedback and support.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Road Trip.

I know my posts can be long reads, but my hope is to share the project successes, failures and obscure solutions that I come across with the hope someone else can benefit from them. I usually try to max out the pictures-per-post to keep some visual interest, as well. (I need to do a better job of photo-documenting on my next wave of projects.)

From my perspective it looks like we share a similar documentary style. If you haven't already
seen it, here's my thread about fixing up a 8-lugger chore truck after it followed me home:
('99 C2500 Functional Resto thread)

Most us us need a little help getting motivated to work on whatever from time to time; if I can help motivate another car/truck/bike enthusiast to work on their project, that's a great success.

Fact. Been there, procrastinated that. :0)

Seriously, once the dust settles from my own move in progress I'd like to someday be able to share
a similar in process engine bay beauty shot. And I really enjoy the root beer color -- it's a vivid change
of pace, stands out in the crowd.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really enjoy the wide variety of build threads in this forum. Even better
than back in the old days waiting for the magazines to arrive each month so that I could see what other
enthusiasts are up to.

Again, thanks for the feedback and support.

It's a pleasure crossing paths with you. Keep up the great work --

Last edited:

nineno

Reaction score
After a busty few weeks, I finally circled back to the odd axle angle reality that I stumbled across when swapping out axles.

I’ve measured the included angle of the original axle and the remanufactured axle, shown below. The included angle, as I am describing it, is the difference between the leaf spring mounting plate and the center line of the pinion shaft.
- Original Axle (4.3L V6 / 700R4, 3.08 ratio): 35-degrees. EG: When the stock leaf spring plates are horizontal, the leading end of the pinion shaft is pointing up at 35-degrees.
- Remanufactured axle (4.10 ratio): 12-degrees. EG: When the stock leaf spring plates are horizontal, the leading end of the pinion shaft is pointing up at 12-degrees.

From the numbers shown above, the pinion shaft of the original axle will always point 23-degrees higher than the remanufactured axle, when the leaf spring mounting plate for a given axle is held at the same angle. Now, don't take these numbers as gospel. I measured them with a phone inclinometer app with one axle in a return shiping crate and the other while lying on my back under the truck. But, they're in the ballpark.

If anyone can shed some light on what might be going on here, I’d love to know what axle I started with.