SBC twin turbo kit on stock 305TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm doing a few things to my truck well its off the road and i found these kits pretty cheap on ebay, just wondering if its worth it or a good idea, i have a brand new stock crate 305, might have 1000k on it, and i converted to a nv3500 from my 700r4, running low boost will this motor handle it and does anyone know what kind of gains i will get?

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
im gonna chime in on the turbo kit part, ebay kits tend to be exactly what they are "cheap". the piping is piping but the turbos are really cheap turbos, you DO NOT want an impeller from a cheap turbo comin apart and destroying your motor.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I have a hard time trusting the eBay turbo's as the bearings which are the weak link of all turbo's are not of the best quality but in this month's Hotrod magazine they put one on a high mileage 5.3L and it seemed to work well with them, for how long though may be a whole 'nother ball game.

How to figure rough hp from boost: [(Boost PSI/14.7) x HP] + HP = Final Boosted HP

14.7 is atmospheric pressure

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time trusting the eBay turbo's as the bearings which are the weak link of all turbo's are not of the best quality but in this month's Hotrod magazine they put one on a high mileage 5.3L and it seemed to work well with them, for how long though may be a whole 'nother ball game.

How to figure rough hp from boost: [(Boost PSI/14.7) x HP] + HP = Final Boosted HP

14.7 is atmospheric pressure

yup, however be aware with that formula that atmospheric pressure may be different depending on what elevation you are at, its 14.7 at sea level. where I'm at its ~12.5 since I live around 4500ft elevation. here is a chart that shows what it will be at different levels.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
yup, however be aware with that formula that atmospheric pressure may be different depending on what elevation you are at, its 14.7 at sea level. where I'm at its ~12.5 since I live around 4500ft elevation. here is a chart that shows what it will be at different levels.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

Yeah, thanks for bringing that up, I forget since we don't have a lot of elevation change like y'all and that figure is for the optimum setup ie. very little friction, heat, etc.