Running rough/egr help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh20315

Reaction score
I put a new 5.7 vortec in my 1996 crew cab long bed and the egr was deleted. It’s running rough. I’m gonna give every detail to help u understand sorry for the paragraph. It’s back firing and feels a little under power. I do have an exhaust leak but even at idle it doesn’t sound like it’s running right. From what I’ve read I can’t tune a 96. Any help is appreciated thanks

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a new 5.7 vortec in my 1996 crew cab long bed and the egr was deleted. ... From what I’ve read I can’t tune a 96

Using JET’s Dynamic Spectrum Tuner, you can tune / disable the EGR in the 1996 ECU among many other things.

A few of us here have and use it.

I do have an exhaust leak but even at idle it doesn’t sound like it’s running right.

An exhaust leak before the O2 sensor can sometimes cause a false sensor reading and force the fuel trim, for the affected bank, toward rich.

It’s back firing

Backfiring in the intake or out the exhaust?

I put a new 5.7 vortec in my 1996 crew cab long bed

Did you properly set the distributor for +-2 CMP retard? It's something that needs to be done, although the engine can run reasonably well w/o it. See attached, from the 1998 FSM.

If the distributor's not set correctly there's the possibility of cross-firing, which might be a concern.

... even at idle it doesn’t sound like it’s running right.

Have you put a scan tool on it to check for codes?

:popcorn:

Attachments

• GMT400 distributor install - CMP - retard adjustment - annotated.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Josh20315

Reaction score
Using JET’s Dynamic Spectrum Tuner, you can tune / disable the EGR in the 1996 ECU among many other things.

An exhaust leak before the O2 sensor can sometimes cause a false sensor reading and force the fuel trim, for the affected bank, toward rich.

Did you properly set the distributor for +-2 CMP retard? It's something that needs to be done, although the engine can run reasonably well w/o it. See attached, from the 1998 FSM.

If the distributor's not set correctly there's the possibility of cross-firing, which might be a concern.

1 please don’t call me retarded 2 I’m not a mechanic I paid for a new motor put in and I’m dealing with this shops bs they didn’t finish

Josh20315

Reaction score

:popcorn:
I’ll check everything u said tho thanks

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 please don’t call me retarded 2 I’m not a mechanic I paid for a new motor put in and I’m dealing with this shops bs they didn’t finish

That’s cool :waytogo:

You had said “I put a new 5.7 vortec” so I assumed you did the job.

So the shop “deleted” the EGR? Is the check engine light illuminated in the gauge cluster? I would expect it to be.

Did the truck originally have a 5.7L, or something else?

Is the exhaust stock? Does it have two upstream and two downstream O2 sensors (four, total)?

Last edited:

Josh20315

Reaction score
That’s cool :waytogo:

You had said “I put a new 5.7 vortec” so I assumed you did the job.

So the shop “deleted” the EGR? Is the check engine light illuminated in the gauge cluster? I would expect it to be.

Did the truck originally have a 5.7L, or something else?

Is the exhaust stock? Does it have two upstream and two downstream O2 sensors (four, total)?
Truck originally had a 5.7 vortec yes. And yes the shop deleted egr and screwed my exhaust all up taking the cats off. It’s a 96 I don’t think I seen 4 o2s I’ll look again tho