rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 1988 K1500 5.7 was having some some idling, stalling and no power issues. I've had this truck since 1989 so I know it well. I started the usual trouble shooting method of firing the parts cannon at it and this is what I've replaced: EGR Valve, EGR Solenoid, MAP Sensor, MAP Sensor Vacuum Hose, Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Ignition Module, Cap and Rotor, Ignition Coil, TBI Fuel Injectors, Fuel Flow Regulator, Spark Plugs and wires, Fuel Filter, O2 Sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor and finally the Fuel Pump. After all this it was the Fuel pump that was bad. I did not do a fuel pressure test but should have as this may have helped the diagnosis faster. I am planning on keeping this truck forever so all the parts are an investment in the future. 249950 miles and runs like the day I bought it.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1988 K1500 5.7 was having some some idling, stalling and no power issues. I've had this truck since 1989 so I know it well. I started the usual trouble shooting method of firing the parts cannon at it and this is what I've replaced: EGR Valve, EGR Solenoid, MAP Sensor, MAP Sensor Vacuum Hose, Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Ignition Module, Cap and Rotor, Ignition Coil, TBI Fuel Injectors, Fuel Flow Regulator, Spark Plugs and wires, Fuel Filter, O2 Sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor and finally the Fuel Pump. After all this it was the Fuel pump that was bad. I did not do a fuel pressure test but should have as this may have helped the diagnosis faster. I am planning on keeping this truck forever so all the parts are an investment in the future. 249950 miles and runs like the day I bought it.
You just went Lord Nelson on it, gave it a full broad side!

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 6

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Greetings @1988 4x4 K1500,

Welcome to the GMT400 forum. Thanks for sharing your troubleshooting story...real-world
fixes are worth their weight in gold, especially when they reinforce the value of investing the
time & effort to gather data prior to parts replacement.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping that you kept the used parts, for if they didn't solve the
problem, then it's a pretty safe bet that they can be used as part of your troubleshooting
toolkit down the road. (!)

By the way, your comment "I am planning on keeping this truck forever" is a position held
by many in this forum. Including me. But until it's time for me to check out I am hoping
to cast it's spell on my grandsons, for I think that the rumbling big block will be a most
positive influence on them. Or at least remind them of their granddad. :0)

Again, thanks for sharing your real-world repair effort. Sharing this will certainly help
others doing their due diligence on a similar issue down the road.

Cheers --

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While there may have been more effective ways to find a faulty fuel pump, you have the correct heart necessary to keep the truck until you can't drive anymore. That means alot to me, as I do like these trucks and also have no plans to get rid of mine. Congrats on finding the issue, and keep that old truck going!