Reverse light switch???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88ChevyMan

Reaction score
Might not be the right place for this, so; sorry if it isn't. My 88 came factory with a TurboHydraMatic 400 trans, and at some point in its life got swapped to an nv3500 unit. I'm almost certain they didn't swap the harness for the manual harness, as there's no wiring provisions for a clutch safety switch, and the PRND2L was still in the gauge cluster. I did however get a manual column, with the key lock out. My question is; WHERE is the th400s reverse light switch located? Google's not giving me a straight answer, so I'm really lost. Is it on the side of the trans itself? Is it on the column? If it is on the column what happens when a guy swaps the column??? I'm so cornfused, plz send help

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am fairly sure (someone correct me if I am wrong) the auto transmission reverse light switch and neutral safety switch are one on the column. But now that you have the NV3500 it is on the transmission. Should be an easy fix, get some wiring diagrams and route some new wires down to the transmission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Correct, 88-94 the park/neutral safety, and reverse light switch, are mounted down on the column near the firewall on the interior of the cab. It's a crescent moon-shaped switch with a small selector tab that pokes into a slot in the column.

Richard