Replacing factory leaf springs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeJoe1993

Reaction score
I need ro replace the leaf springs on my 1997 GMC k1500 4x4 short bed. I was trying to figure out if I should put 3/1 or 4/1 springs on it? And where is the best place to buy online? Thanks!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you tow or haul loads in the bed often? What's your load weight or tongue weight? I sometimes tow with my '89, but I try to center the weight over the trailer axles, so I was able to go with 3/1 leafs. The ride doesn't suck.

JoeJoe1993

Reaction score
Do you tow or haul loads in the bed often? What's your load weight or tongue weight? I sometimes tow with my '89, but I try to center the weight over the trailer axles, so I was able to go with 3/1 leafs. The ride doesn't suck.
No I don't haul anything or pull anything either. Just a back and forth work ride. Is Rock Auto leaf springs ok to buy?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, but I'd buy a brand name rather than "Various Manufacturers". Then again, I went straight to Pull-A-Part for my rear leafs.

If you're never going to haul or pull anything, removing a leaf (2/1) gives a very nice ride. The PO of my truck did that, but I couldn't even hitch my trailer. If you were anywhere close I'd give you the old 2/1 spring packs.