Replace OEM 305 with Reman 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isd503

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the original 305 in the 96 GMC Sierra with a reman 350. I have been experiencing a lack of power. The engine does not feel like it has the power of a 350.

I took it to a mechanic who drove it and noticed this too. He thinks the truck might need a software update. Is there such an update for a 96 and where would you go to get it? Has anyone ever had this issue before? How did you resolve it?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your computer is expecting to be running a 305, so that's what its trying to do.
It doesn't need an "update" it needs to be reprogrammed to run a 350.

Look up Black Bear tunes. It's what they do.

isd503

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience re-programming (tuning) the PCM with this same engine swap?

Is there a noticeable difference in the performance of the engine/transmission after the 'tune'?

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
As suggested above, hit up Black Bear Performance.

I swapped from manual to auto transmission, used the PCM from the auto truck, with a different size engine, and Black Bear hooked me right up. Ran better, and even firmed up the shifts in the auto trans.