Receiver differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There looks to be a reinforcing bracket on the vertical portion of the frame. I see the black paint on it
No reinforcements!
That black is the bracket for the bumper itself
I’ve take. Better pics since off work things aren’t as bad as it seems but it visually shows where the structural integrity let go for some reason it’s mostly the last 5-8” of the bottom frame on both sides pretty much where the receiver bolts

I’m going to reinforce between upper and lower rails and weld in some steel or do something across the frame ~ hopefully keeping it from folding

The design for receivers is definitely flawed I haven’t seen any manufacturers yet that utilize the vertical sides of the truck frame
For mounting …meaning they all bolt to the bottom of the rails . How do they expect a 2” frame rail edge to not pull over time
You must be registered for see images attach

If you look at the vertical side of the frame all the way to the back, it’s level across the whole back of the truck on both sides , so this isn’t like

Attachments

• IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 3

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ends up the receiver itself also bent the same way/ direction as the frame edge /

Any diy ideas on tools or vices or possible at home method to reposition the bends ? I though about floor jack and some type of thicker metal object to hydraulically press the bends back like a ram ..
But then there is the other bend that’s pressed upwards ~

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jack it up by the receiver and tap the frame ever so gently with a 10lb?
I had been using the receiver and jack on the receiver for minor odds and ends all along recently to change shocks and do some other maintenance…
Just that alone never budged the bends the opposite way. So your saying bolt it back on jack it up with the weight of the truck and dead blow the bend with a

Should I use Any heat ??

When that’s all said and done
I think using the compromised bent areas to re-bolt the receiver as normal probably won’t be suitable.

I think I’m going to use some 1/4” - 3/8” flat stock sheet plates and weld to the receiver ends … so I can bolt them also to the ( vertical ) side area of the frame rails . That should be enough strength and structural support to alleviate any bending issues again

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draw-Tite are a good choice that tucks

Also, I'd recommend buying/ordering local where you get to see it before taking it. Shipping is a crap-shoot.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Face it, a lot of humans are morons. And perform / survive really stupid, stupid crap. If that's the correct receiver hitch for that truck. Then some gorilla has overloaded it at some point in time. Washers not completely covering holes, substitute longer steel plates, including adjoining bolts, load distribution.
Remember the hitch ball orientation location. Flipped it up may rise 3 inches, but flipped down ,it lowers 2 inches from level plane.
Unless your too cheap. I hate switching the hitch ball around. I have three or four different inserts. Level , 1" drop, 2" drop, etc. I don't like on and off , the ball every time. I use a tall nylock locknut with grade eight washer. With a vertical telltale line. I don't tow a lot , it just seems it's always either too high or to low, fixed that ocd prob'.
There are various manufacturers. With many styles. The damaged one is the style that was installed with trailer RPO option. If you had oversize tires the Curt hidden install may not fit with larger spare. Just some thoughts.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pouring down rain but I'll get pics tomorrow mine don't hang down like that

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’ was either over loaded or possibly someone happened to hit the receiver in a traffic incident, that came to mind also. Either way it’s not terribly bad . It certainly has not even come close to compromising the frame any further forward.. per the pics !
I just need to straighten things out and bolt down a new receiver that has side plates for the vertical part of the frame rail / or fab some up and weld making it that way . Just bolting it back after straightening out things I feel like is not gonna work well.l since there’s already been compromising to that area .. Ill
Get there , no rush am not towing at the moment.