Receiver differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks to me like it is mounted correctly, it’s just seen some excessive load. It’s evident that it pinched the lower portion of the channel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it’s fixable at the very minimum.
I’ll have to probably straighten things out with bed off and run some reinforcement plates or something much like a C-notch plate to
( cover ) or (cap) that portion of the frame rails . I know nothing is split or seamed . It’s just bent evidentially
If anyone can point me to a good receiver that actually has reinforcement design and bolts to the vertical position on the frame I’d appreciate that.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks to me like that is mounted correctly, it’s just seen some excessive load.
It was a lawn maintenance truck for a while down south .. that’s all I know but even so I don’t even see 2 Dixie choppers causing that .
Unless they ran some huge trailer on it but at that point you’d think the leafs would have squated out before receiver bends

Factory nv 4500 so I suppose the people were bighead and thought that the truck would outweigh the tranny .. maybe maybe not

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There looks to be a reinforcing bracket on the vertical portion of the frame. I see the black paint on it.
I really haven’t looked at this that well but I see what you’re saying. I wonder if that was in the beginning of the install or a Hopeful, fix and cover-up for the destruction

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone can point me to a good receiver that actually has reinforcement design and bolts to the vertical position on the frame I’d appreciate that.

Look around for the heaviest rated hitch you can find, (10,000#+) and then study it to see how it mounts to the frame. Note the attached picture, from Curt.

The hitch I’ve got on my Suburban is rated at 6,500 pounds, and it just bolts to the bottom of the frame rail with three bolts on each side. It’s a relatively light duty hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_9569.png
    IMG_9569.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a quick look and found they do bolt to the bottom rail of the frame but, at least what you said about a gusset is a better idea.

There’s a Curt hitch that I pictured in a post just a moment ago, that has a couple gussets toward one end, where they would do the most good.

However, an elongated gusset that engaged the frame and the hitch across the entire length would be better.

What’s the most beneficial is engaging the hitch to the frame using gussets at the extreme ends, not so much in the middle.