Receiver differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question/curious . My 97 had a curt 14081 class 4 that sat right below the bumper tucked up higher shown below

You must be registered for see images attach

This one on my 93 is maybe some sort of a drop receiver maybe ? Was this standard or a c1500 /c2500/3500 style ? Seems tough enough just not sure I like the dropped design is there an identifying manufacturer anyone know ? Any benefit to one or the other bedsides the design ?

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question/curious . My 97 had a curt 14081 class 4 that sat right below the bumper tucked up higher shown below

This one on my 93 is maybe some sort of a drop receiver maybe ? Was this standard or a c1500 /c2500/3500 style ? Seems tough enough just not sure I like the dropped design is there an identifying manufacturer anyone know ? Any benefit to one or the other bedsides the design ?

The second one appears to be a factory / OE unit.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it’s a pretty original truck I was gonna have it blasted and re coated .. but want sure if I prefer the design or if it’ is superior over newer designed curt 14081 .
Also truck is lifted 4” so it might help if it is indeed some type of drop down design .. it looks like it sits lower then a Curt 14081 if that’s the case it would do away for the need for a 6” adjustable drop hitch.

I haven’t hooked up my Atv trailer yet , but it’s possible it could be at the right level for towing. Generally a 6” drop / raise hitch solves the differences , but I haven’t purchased yet . Debating on swapping this out. I just want to accommodate different
Trailer/ tow options.

89RCLB

Old Dudes Rule
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy a class 3 adapter to slide into the class 4...if that helps at all.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 2nd picture doesn't look right to me, the receiver s/b parallel to the ground. How's it mounted, is it or the frame bent?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy a class 3 adapter to slide into the class 4...if that helps at all.
I just noticed some unsettling things when taking a look at this OE receiver .. either there was an extremely heavy load at one point or the way these receivers bolt on the design is not superior on these trucks ?
Mine looks like it’s pulled down the lip of my frame rails right and only where the receiver bolts to the frame . I can’t recall the curt design but you would think they would utilize the inner portion of the rails to bolt a receiver to! Much like they do a C-notch
Photo for reference to this issue mentioned don’t like that at all .. maybe there’s a better solution or a way to strengthen that area

89RCLB

Old Dudes Rule
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 2nd picture doesn't look right to me, the receiver s/b parallel to the ground. How's it mounted, is it or the frame bent?
That's what I was thinking too but thought that maybe it was just the angle of the pic. It almost looks like that is not the correct receiver for that truck...

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too but thought that maybe it was just the angle of the pic. It almost looks like that is not the correct receiver for that truck...
I’m thinking they put this receiver on there from something else and just bolted it wherever the hell at some point though it has pulled down the back of the frame not like the frame rails, but it’s bent a small portion of the last hole