Rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ObsBrian

Reaction score
Planning on dropping rear differential
and get it blasted what revamps can I do on the diff im not going crazy just any thing that needs attention after high mileage, cause i don’t know much about diffs any suggestions?

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planning on dropping rear differential
and get it blasted what revamps can I do on the diff im not going crazy just any thing that needs attention after high mileage, cause i don’t know much about diffs any suggestions?
I'm confused about a couple of things. What do you mean by blasting the rear diff? Are you talking about sandblasting the axle tube, so you're taking everything apart?

If so, and you're going to have everything apart anyway, do the wheel bearings and seals, check the axles for wear where the go through the wheel bearings and replace as needed, check the spider gears for wear and replace as necessary, check the carrier bearings and replace as necessary. Obviously check the ring and pinion gears for wear. Hopefully you don't have to touch the pinion and pinion bearing.

But I have to caution you, diff work isn't simple. You need some specialized tools to shim it properly, set the preload on the pinion, etc. It's not really a backyard mechanic type of job if you want it done right. I got mine back together just good enough to drive it to the shop I like in town.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Axles + Brakes.

I know of a guy who had the 8.2 "ten bolt" axle for his '64 Chevy II sand blasted. He got to the car show afterwards.

Had to be towed back home because all the sand that got left inside ate the bearings and gears.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know of a guy who had the 8.2 "ten bolt" axle for his '64 Chevy II sand blasted. He got to the car show afterwards.

Had to be towed back home because all the sand that got left inside ate the bearings and gears
Wire brush and some Hydrate 80 has been my favorite pre-coat for a while now.
Working on a house right on the beach that laughs at most things has shown it to be quite impressive.... Easy to work with as well.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can guess, but it's easier if you give , make ,model, year
My guess is a "Ten Bolt" with 254mm leading/trailing shoe drum brakes, that isn't worth the time, money, effort, and enthusiasm.

GU6 RPO code 3:42 gears
WHAT YEAR? WHAT VEHICLE?

WHAT AXLE? "Ten Bolt" (8.5" ring gear)? 14-bolt semi-float (9.5" ring gear)? 14-bolt full-float (10.5" ring gear)?

Is it the same axle the vehicle came with, or is this some sort of conversion--and if it's a conversion we need to know BOTH vehicles--the receiver and the donor.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wire brush and some Hydrate 80 has been my favorite pre-coat for a while now.
Working on a house right on the beach that laughs at most things has shown it to be quite impressive.... Easy to work with as well.

I've never heard of Hydrate-80. Looks to be European. Where are you buying it? Is it any different than phosphoric acid?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are you buying it?
Carzilla has the smaller size which is actually a ton the way it works. Gets here pretty quick too.
Is it any different than phosphoric acid?
Yes. I mean I don't know what's in it but it doesn't smell like anything I've used before. It's nice... It's really incredible. Just make sure you coat it with something after even though it looks great when dry. It'll blush when wet.... Goes back to black....
It's tenacious as all heck when dry and turns super hard. Have to use channel locks to open the container because I'm usually too preoccupied to keep the top cleaned off....

Doesn't hold up on exhaust just fyi..lol
but it's my Frank's hot sauce for sure...