RE: An update to my V6 to V8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I guess it's about time I updated everyone as to what's been going on.

For those of you that would like a refresher (or are not up to speed on my last two epic failures, lol....), I have an 88 (89?) RCSB that started life as a 5-speed V6. I swapped a 94 5.7L into it and tried to show off with aluminum heads at the same time. It was a learning experience to say the least.

Where we last left off, I was attempting to learn how to tune a 35 year old PCM with TunerPro RT. It got me absolutely nowhere.

Fast forward to last weekend. I tore those aluminum heads right off and put the factory heads back on. Smooth, seamless install. Only real issues was trying to line up the distributor with the oil pump shaft (because I just cannot see down there). Fired RIGHT up and idled smooth with the first key turn.

Test drive #1. Ran ok but still seemed under powered. No more so with or without aluminum heads. Still overheating, which tanked the oil pressure, which lead to the bucking/backfiring/popping problem again. Fine. Now I can rule out any aftermarket parts and there's going to be much less guess work.

Got it home and noticed that the UPPER radiator hose was ice cold. The LOWER radiator hose about burned the skin off my hand. PROGRESS! Tore the 195° thermostat out and it's seized shut. WTF? Put a 160° thermostat in there and BAM, no more overheating!

No overheating = sorta normal oil pressure, but I'm still getting bucking/backfiring at WOT... and, at LONG LAST, it's finally throwing a code! Never did this ever before. OBD1 code 42 and 43. Electronic Spark Timing error and Knock Sensor error.

Using this flow chart, it lead me to a bad ignition control module in the distributor.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Well, if anyone recalls, the distributor I put in has great reviews from Summit Racing, but many have posted that the ICM is junk and should be replaced. Well, that flow chart and my symptoms just proved them all to be correct. I installed an AC Delco ICM and it DID make a difference in power and WOT bucking, but it's still not right.

Test Drive #2: After the new ICM, I could immediately tell it was running MUCH better. I was easy on it at first until it got up to operating temp. Then, I found a STEEP hill and FLOORED IT. It's got better power, indeed, and no bucking/popping at WOT. Then, I got to the summit of that hill and kept the hammer down in 2nd gear. I hit 6500 rpm and that's when all went to Hell. Engine almost stalled. No power. None. It did recover after a few seconds, so I drove back home to regroup.

Went home and checked the codes again. None. 42 and 43 both disappeared, but I still have a Check Engine light. Oh and btw, all this with under 5 gallons of gas in the tank.

Maybe I'll investigate the knock sensor next.

Regardless, the more I drive this thing, the more I'm getting comfortable with it, and the more I'll work out all the bugs.

Stay Tuned! I'll get this thing running right yet!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may be slightly over estimating the RPM at which it lost all power. I will fill the tank and perform the same test drive. Regardless, it seems I'm finally seeing the light at the end of this long, frustrating, expensive, and time consuming tunnel.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be slightly over estimating the RPM at which it lost all power. I will fill the tank and perform the same test drive. Regardless, it seems I'm finally seeing the light at the end of this long, frustrating, expensive, and time consuming tunnel.

Put the price of the parts that stayed into the 'cost of mobility' column in your personal finances spreadsheet.

And put the value of the time/effort spent (and parts bought/installed/then backed out of the swap) into
the 'tuition' column.** For I maintain that you have learned a lot since you started this project. And
no doubt that a good chunk of this will help you get through that other project you have out on the
horizon.

Anyway, good on you for not giving up on this project. The worst projects in the windshield of life often
times are the best ones when you (finally) get to see them in the rear view mirror...fading into the distance.

At least that is the way it seems to go for yours truly. Not all projects we worked on were full of
Unicorns & Rainbows while in the heat of battle. Some of them just s*cked out loud when taking them from
pipe dream to real world installation/debug. I have no doubt you are picking up what I'm putting down. :0)

BTW, it must have felt pretty good to write that status update? When it comes right down to it, we're
all more alike than different when it comes to stuff like this. Some take the easy path, some challenge
themselves with the more difficult one, but if you manage to push the project over the finish line it's all good. (!)
:waytogo:

**At least the price of tuition at Motorhead U is more affordable than most: '24 Price of tuition

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, it must have felt pretty good to write that status update?

Yeah it did!

Oh, and BTW, I still never got the front end professionally aligned, after correcting the steering problem. The left front tire is squealing and it has to be causing drag.

I'm wondering if that's mimicking some loss of power?