Pulling The Heads On 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Well I'm back. I've been diagnosing my truck's knock for a couple weeks and finally think i've got it figured out. The compression on cyl 3 is only 35psi, compared to the 120 of the others. This means I am losing compression through the rings or the valves. Well I did a wet compression test today and it was still 35 so that means its a valve not rings correct?

It looks as though I am going to have to pull the heads off my truck and have them machined and have a valve job done. What's the best step by step manual for these trucks? I'm sure there is a haynes and a chiltons but which is the most simple and idiot proof? I have never done any mechanical jobs anywhere near this level before but I have no choice other than to pull the heads and knock this out myself.

Also what are some tricks and tips for getting this done?

Thanks guys.

brandonb

Reaction score
have you checked your valve lash? if a valve is incorrectly sat you wont get the right amount of air(thus reducing compression), and youll hear a tapping noise.

remember to use 2 wrenches to remove the fuel fittings on the back of the throttleblody. the valve cover bolts are 3/8, the throttle body is held on by 1/2 inch bolts, the intake and dist are 9/16, and the heads are 5/8 bolts.

you have to remove the accessories from the front of the motor, and if you have the 92-95 cast aluminum serpentine setup then youll need to get a pully puller for the powersteering pump because the bracket is bolted to the head.

dont forget to unplug the battery before you remove the valve cover, otherwise you might short it out on the alternator, ive made that mistake before. and pull all the pushrods out before you remove the head. you need to make sure you keep them in order so you can put the pushrods back in the same lifter you took it out of.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you checked your valve lash? if a valve is incorrectly sat you wont get the right amount of air(thus reducing compression), and youll hear a tapping noise.

remember to use 2 wrenches to remove the fuel fittings on the back of the throttleblody. the valve cover bolts are 3/8, the throttle body is held on by 1/2 inch bolts, the intake and dist are 9/16, and the heads are 5/8 bolts.

you have to remove the accessories from the front of the motor, and if you have the 92-95 cast aluminum serpentine setup then youll need to get a pully puller for the powersteering pump because the bracket is bolted to the head.

dont forget to unplug the battery before you remove the valve cover, otherwise you might short it out on the alternator, ive made that mistake before. and pull all the pushrods out before you remove the head. you need to make sure you keep them in order so you can put the pushrods back in the same lifter you took it out of.

Good info

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's a 91 silverado so does that mean I won't need the pulley puller?

brandonb

Reaction score
it's a 91 silverado so does that mean I won't need the pulley puller?
i dont know which setup the 91 has. i think most of them had cast aluminum accessory brackets. check your drivers side, and if you see a bolt in the head that you cant get without removing the powersteering pump then you need to remove the powersteering pump.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So does anyone have a recommendation on a service manual for this job? because i've read that haynes sucks and is not specific enough for a novice like myself. Alot of the "duh" mechanic knowledge...I don't have because I haven't been wrenching very long at all.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to have to re-time this thing somehow aren't I? I've never done timing before so looks like i'm 2 for 2 on taking on challenges i've got no idea how to accomplish. haha.

Here is my shopping list for the job. Let me know what I am missing!
Fel-Pro Head Gasket Set- Part number - hs7733pt15 for reference. It's supposed to have every gasket needed to do a head gasket job so I assume that will cover what I am doing here.
Fel-Pro Head Bolt Set
White Out - to mark bolts
liquid wrench
carb cleaner
torque wrench
timing light (anyone have a recommendation on whether cheap timing lights work well or not?)
breaker bar (just something I don't have and may need)
new thermostat and coolant since it's getting drained anyway. May run some flush stuff through it idk yet.
new oil and filter
shop towels and simple green for cleaning the engine bay haha.

Lot's of patience and prayers for knowledge!

I would still really like to pick up a manual with instructions on how to do this correctly...i've heard haynes sucks. Any recommendations guys?