Prep truck before winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Howdy everyone. Just wondering if there’s anything I can do to prep this truck for its first winter? Obviously it’ll handle fine but I want to keep it purty.
1997 5.7l Ext K1500.
It’s all stock.
I was thinking maybe spraying the frame as its rust free but not sure what else.

New alternator?
New battery?
I don’t really want to lift the truck but want to get bigger tires/wheels so that’s on the list.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 14

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Switch out summer washer fluid to winter. That's not a fun time if you don't.
Fresh engine oil, make sure the battery is in good condition. Make sure your block heater works, and if not, fix it. If you don't have one, install one and obviously change out your coolant. Make sure it's NOT just water. As Sean said, test it to -40. A set of winter wiper blades.
A set of winter tires if possible, if not, try and get ones with the three peak snow rating, it helps more than you could imagine.
A good winter emergency kit, a tow club membership is a great idea. Booster cables.

Not sure how cold it gets in Lake Tahoe, but @Sean Buick 76 and I live and work in northern Alberta, and know a thing or two about winter and what it can do to vehicles, and humans.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But you forgot your best advice that you follow…just put it to bed for the winter. :chillpill:
That is true...but it sounds like he's driving it!!! Lol
But ya @Rickyxxl , the absolute best is to buy a winter beater and garage your truck for the winter. It looks damn near mint, would be a shame to kick start the rust, or heaven forbid, a game of bumper cars with some uninsured jackass!
A $500 beater could save you a ton of issues.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
But ya @Rickyxxl , the absolute best is to buy a winter beater and garage your truck for the winter. It looks damn near mint, would be a shame to kick start the rust, or heaven forbid, a game of bumper cars with some uninsured jackass!
A $500 beater could save you a ton of

Clear fluid film under the whole truck and ensure the coolant is good for -40 using a tester.
Yessir!

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Hahaha, I wish! I live in a duplex so unfortunately she will be exposed. I have a WRX I daily drive but this will be my last year in Tahoe so it’s just this winter for the truck. She is mint, plan to turn it into a overland/camping rig.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Any hit she takes, imma ask for $1000 lol

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently had the same question from my nephew. This list is comprehensive and several items are a given with the purchase of a used older vehicle, but as always it depends on your budget.

-Wiper blades - check/replace
-Washer fluid - check pump function and spray pattern (while driving) and use deicer fluid.
-Battery and charging - check/replace
-Belts - check/replace
-Tires - preferably snow tires/aggressive, check tread depth, tire pressure @ cold temp. Chains for deep snow area
(small tarp to lay on).
-Oil - 5W… synthetic.
-Transmission fluid - check for cleanliness and level. Go with synthetic for cold temps.
-P.S fluid. Check for cleanliness and level. Go with synthetic for cold temps.
-Drive train fluids - check for cleanliness and level. Go with synthetic for cold temps.
-Coolant - check level and correct mixture for lowest temps in your area.
-Undercarriage - rust prevention, check for rusty exhaust clamps or anything loose.
-Spare tire - remove and inflate/balance, grease hardware, confirm all hardware is present required to change a tire.
-Exterior - wax or provide a protective coating.
-Lights - check operation and consider brighter headlights. The stock candle lights need some improvement.
-Interior - winter mats to keep slush, snow and water off the carpet/floor.
-Check for adequate air flow and temp to defrost vent.
-Clean/lubricate door locks, handles, hinges, tail gate, steering linkage, and chassis/suspension.
-Keep fuel tank 1/2 full or more. Helps with adding weight to the vehicle too.
-Without a cap the bed is open to the elements. Hopefully you have a bed liner. Depending on terrain and snow depth in your region - add some weight over rear axle for added grip. With the added weight the truck may potentially handle differently (over steer etc.) so refrain spirited driving dry days.
-Snow brush/ice scraper.
-Go-bag - flashlight, cell phone charger, tool kit, shovel, jumper cables, first aid kit, extra clothing, blankets, gloves/hand warmers, and flares/warning triangle.