Okay, I'm losing my mind. Where is my RKE receiver?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brand_x

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe LT 4WD, 5.7l, and the RKE function stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Checked the fobs with a meter, both are transmitting. Found the '98 servrice manual PDFs here, looked up where it should be, and when I get down in there to look, there's =nothing=. I found the EVO/Passlock module, the DRL diode (blown, so I pulled it out and made a jumper plug for it - headlight relay/4-hi harness installed, so all it needs is power through it to trip the headlight relay), a 2-channel audio amp, but nothing else next to/mounted on the right-side steering support on the inside or outside of it.

Is there anywhere else they may have mounted it?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Do you have the standard long tone warning or a time delayed chime? You might have a BCM in there, with the truck being a 99 Tahoe LT. One way to check, is there a terminal in pin 8 of the OBDII connector? If so, connect a jumper wire from pin 8 to pin 4, the locks should cycle. Another way, do you have retained accessory power (radio stays on when you turn the truck off until you open a door)? If you do, your truck has the BCM, which the 99-00 Escalades also use. I *THINK* they're mounted behind or somewhere around the glove box... Make it start chiming and follow the noise to its source. In the 99-00 Escalades they're mounted under the center console, be glad you don't have that problem lol.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i remember correctly the RKE is located above the steering column. Very hard to see and get at. Took me a while to find mine.

brand_x

Reaction score
Do you have the standard long tone warning or a time delayed chime? You might have a BCM in there, with the truck being a 99 Tahoe LT. One way to check, is there a terminal in pin 8 of the OBDII connector? If so, connect a jumper wire from pin 8 to pin 4, the locks should cycle. Another way, do you have retained accessory power (radio stays on when you turn the truck off until you open a door)? If you do, your truck has the BCM, which the 99-00 Escalades also use. I *THINK* they're mounted behind or somewhere around the glove box... Make it start chiming and follow the noise to its source. In the 99-00 Escalades they're mounted under the center console, be glad you don't have that problem lol.
Pin 8 exists, I did try to see if the fobs would reprogram - the locks cycled when I put the jumper in, but it never read either fob, and I gave each one a good 30+ seconds. It just has the long tone.

brand_x

Reaction score
If i remember correctly the RKE is located above the steering column. Very hard to see and get at. Took me a while to find mine.
Alright, I'll have to go and check here in a while - we're rolling into one of those strings of nasty-hot days, so it may have to wait until evening.

brand_x

Reaction score
Update: It was where the manual said it was - I just couldn't get my fat head in far enough to see it. Brother helped me get it out, now I need to check it and see if there's anything physically obvious as far as failures...

brand_x

Reaction score
Update-to-update: I didn't see anything glaringly obvious, so I went ahead and reflowed the joint where the internal antenna connects to the board. Had brother plug it back in, jumped 4 and 8 to put it into program mode, press and hold the fob buttons, and after about 15 seconds *kachunk-chunk*. Fob works again. Tested range, was able to trip it from halfway into neighbor's yard (30-ish feet), but all I need it to reach is when I'm by the doors.

So, that's one tiny bit of existential dread resolved, and I can put the dash back together again. :)