No Power to Cassette Deck Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Wired the OEM radio, CDM, and non-EQ cassette deck today. When I turned the truck on, the radio lights up and every option seems to work. (Not checking for sound output yet, just functionality of everything). The cassette deck didn’t light up and doesn’t do anything when inserting a tape. I have another deck with the EQ that I tried too (it’s missing the wire to the CDM so I tried using the wire from the non-EQ one) and it made a noise for half a second but never lit up or did anything besides that.

Would this issue happen to be a toast CDM? After reading other threads they seem to lose functionality over time and the best advice someone gave was to look for other ones at junk yards until I find one that works. Anything else I can try? I 100% want to keep the OEM cassette deck.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put an AC/DC cassette in and crank volume. Should reset it. Lol
Yes, sounds like a bad CDM.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure about a bad CDM. The electronic system in the cassette decks are independent of the CDM's and should operate as such, as long as the cassette deck is actually receiving power.

Note: Power is NOT APPLIED to the cassette deck UNLESS you have turned on the radio via the control head. It will do nothing at all if the radio is powered off, even with the key on. If the cassette player is still doing nothing at all (no motor noise, anything) with the radio on, I would check continuity of the wiring harness that runs from the CDM to the cassette deck. It's highly unlikely, given that the radio does in fact power on, that power won't be supplied to the tape deck as well.