Need wiring diagram for instrument cluster on 1998 Chevy Silverado k1500 please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I need the wiring diagram for 1998 Chevy Silverado K1500.
I tried searching and I can't find anything that I can quite understand... I just need to know what color wire on the instrument cluster plug does what to the instrument cluster.
Can anyone help me please by simplifying it?
Like , example,
blue wire - seat belt light
White wire- abs light
Green wire - P indicator
Yellow wire - R indicator
Pink wire - N indicator
Ect- ECT
And so on
And so on
I would really appreciate if someone could please help me by doing this.
Thank you,
Kurt Holzbacher

I realize I may be the dumbest person on here....
But is there any possible way someone could simplify it for me by saying what color wire goes to what on the cluster? Like,
White wire - left blinker indicator
Blue wire - high beam indicator
Green wire - right blinker indicator
ECT - ECT
ECT - ECT

I can't follow the diagram that I found on here..... And I know people will say, take it to a shop.
I was in a hit and run motorcycle wreck (never found jerk who hit me)
Now I'm trying to do best I can, with paralyzed leg, paralyzed vocal chords and many many other problems. Living on disability doesn't leave any money for my vehicle. I was an automotive technician for over 20 years.... I can't explain it... But I can do the wiring. I just need it explained simpler. If someone would please take the time. It would be so very helpful......

Last edited:

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be in the service manual available here.

Volume 1 pages 856 & 857

Here is a screenshot, I don't know if you'll be able to read it or not

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240814-182238.png
    Screenshot_20240814-182238.png
    517 KB · Views: 13

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98 service manuals are here. If you worked with the GM FSM your families with them. If not in section eight the circuits are diagramed, by color and circuit number. The connector faces are also shown . The connectors have either numbers or letters to identify slots/ pins. Download the 98 service manuals ,covers all you need. :waytogo:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be in the service manual available here.

Volume 1 pages 856 & 857

Here is a screenshot, I don't know if you'll be able to read it or not

Greetings @Kurt Holzbacher,

Following ralmo94's directions, I opened Vol 1 of the '98 GM Factory Service Manual,
went to p. 856, and there was the connector, numbered, followed by the tables with
function, wire color code, and circuit number. He shared the screen snaps of these
pages in his reply, but depending upon the size/quality of the screen you are reading
this with, the smaller print may or may not be legible.

Fortunately, Adobe has the ability to 'print' 1 or more pages to a .pdf file. Of course there
are size limits on what we can post to this forum, but I've discovered that a 2 page .pdf
file is well within the limits. (See attached.) If you open this up, you should be able to
zoom in to wherever you need and easily read the diagram that ralmo94 identified.

Once you experience how easily the .pdf page displays zoom in and out so well, you can
see how helpful it would be to have your own copy of the '98 GM manuals on a laptop
or desktop. (Bonus points for driving a big screen from your computer, takes all the
eye fatigue out of stuff like this.)

Let us know if the attached .pdf file is what you are looking for. And if you are having
trouble with a particular circuit just post it here and we'll kick it around until we can form
a common consensus on how it operates.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• '98 Instrument Cluster Connector pinout.pdf
    426.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adobe has the ability to 'print' 1 or more pages to a .pdf file. Of course there
are size limits on what we can post to this forum, but I've discovered that a 2 page .pdf
file is well within the limits
That's actually what I was going to do first, but it said the file was too large. I'm glad you were able to post that. It might be because I'm on mobile, who knows

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's actually what I was going to do first, but it said the file was too large. I'm glad you were able to post that. It might be because I'm on mobile, who knows

I recently tried to post a 4 page .pdf and I got the same error. No doubt the complexity of the diagram
is a big factor vs the efficiency of the compression algorithm that Adobe uses in terms of final file size?

As a side note, my smart phone small screen chops are nowhere near good enough to share pages out
of the FSM like that. Even on a laptop with a 17" screen I still feel cramped. :0)

EDIT: Out of curiosity I've been meaning to try out this free .pdf compression portal, but alas there's
never enough time: (Adobe free online compressor) Who knows? I bet all the whitespace in the
wiring diagrams would compress better than most?

Anyway, between the all of us hopefully we can help the OP get to where he's going.

Cheers --

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your doing your own work. If you need the info once, your most likely going to need more. " I'll tell you where the treasure is but I'm not digging it for you. "
It is too difficult for you to use the index at the first page of section 8. Or do you expect everyone to memorize all 1585 pages?
And I did say , section 8. Electrical. Are you familiar with FSM layout?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I use this (iPhone) app that will convert a pdf page to a jpeg. It works pretty well for when a screenshot doesn’t have good resolution.

You must be registered for see images attach