Need pistons for a stock rebuild 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diver

Reaction score
I was pulling a piston out a stock 89 chevy 350 tbi to re ring it and dropped a piston and broke off a skirt. Can anyone lead me in a direction to buy piston setup for it to stay in stock compression ..This engine came out of a 1989 van . I was surprised to see a it had a 4 bolt main. . it was running when i bought it and yard pulled it and set it in back of truck No oil sludge. thanks all
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the pistons were made of unobtainium you could still run that, but there's no reason to try with a 350 TBI.

Beat the bushes. Ask around. Somebody you know has that piston sitting in the corner of their shop, or a complete TBI motor in their shed. If you were in Oklahoma I'd throw you one - I have a set of seven sitting in a tub in my shop.

Also, check with your local machine shops.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pulling a piston out a stock 89 chevy 350 tbi to re ring it and dropped a piston and broke off a skirt. Can anyone lead me in a direction to buy piston setup for it to stay in stock compression ..This engine came out of a 1989 van . I was surprised to see a it had a 4 bolt main.

The extra notch at ~the 10 o'clock position (assuming the forward notch is 12 o'clock)
plus the fact that the engine was a 4-bolt main makes me think that your engine was the
HD TBI 5.7 that were put in the 8600+ GVWR GMT400s. They were slightly lower compression,
and the assumption is that this was done to help compensate for the expected HD service.

For what it's worth, here's a link where we were troubleshooting why one cylinder had higher
compression than the rest? (New piston is different than the original 7?)

Hope this gives you some additional insight into the HD motor you are refreshing.

Cheers --