My gear shift lever dosent lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When its working right you shouldn't be able to mover the shift lever with out depressing the brake pedle. Now mine inst working correct i can move the lever and shift the transmission. What should i look at?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just to clarify, you're talking specifically about shifting out of park right? You can shift between all other gears without depressing the brake, that's normal.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Could be the BTSI solenoid in the column or, more likely, the brake switch assembly. There are three separate contact switches in the brake switch assembly, normally without the brakes depressed the BTSI switch would be closed and applying power to the solenoid while the trans is in park. The brake switches like to break over the years.

As an aside, check fuse #16 in the dash fuse panel. Of course, you'd be missing your turn signals too if it's blown.

One last note: the BTSI solenoid is ONLY active with the ignition in run. If you just turn the key enough to release the column but not all the way to run, you will be able to shift without the brake pedal. That's just how these trucks are wired.

Last edited: