Is this an OEM crossmember??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whittling away on my 97 k1500 to do a SAS and remembered this crossmember is in here above the stock engine crossmember. Truck previously had a 4" IFS lift. This is the only 4wd truck of this body style I've ever had so I have nothing to compare to.

It kind of looks like it was cobbled in there by a previous owner. If it's OEM, they did a bad job. Anyone else have this in theirs?

You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic but looks like factory. That brace/hoop thingy does look suspicious tho..

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Are you talking about the round tube hoop thing with the short crooked cross piece? If so, they're all like that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're as bad as they look and prone to cracking at either end where they attach to the frame.

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic but looks like factory. That brace/hoop thingy does look suspicious tho..
That's the one I'm curious about
Are you talking about the round tube hoop thing with the short crooked cross piece? If so, they're all like that.
Yea that one. It looks awful, can't imagine it's doing a whole lot
They're as bad as they look and prone to cracking at either end where they attach to the frame.
I didn't dig in far enough to notice but I doubt it's providing anything that the big crossmember isn't

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Believe it or not, that angle iron looking piece was added in 1996 to try to prevent the brace from cracking at the end.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Believe it or not, that angle iron looking piece was added in 1996 to try to prevent the brace from cracking at the end.

They really spared no expense, did they? Thing looks like a blind guy put it on.